If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Calne Area Board
Tuesday, 23rd August, 2011 7.00 pm

Venue: Cherhill Village Hall, The Street, Cherhill, Calne SN11 8XP

Contact: Alexa Smith (Democratic Services Officer)  Tel: 01249 706610/ Email:  alexa.smith@wiltshire.gov.uk

Items
Note No. Item

7.00 pm

1.

Chairman's Welcome and Introductions

The Chairman will welcome Councillor Fleur de Rhe Phillipe, Cabinet Representative for Economic Development and Strategic Planning.  

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed everyone to Cherhill Village Hall and Calne Area Board and introduced the Councillors and Officers present. The Chairman welcomed Councillor Fleur de Rhe Phillipe, Cabinet Representative for Economic Development and Strategic Planning.

 

David Evans, nominated representative for Calne Community Area Partnership,  explained the evacuation procedure for the building.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Will Kay, Voluntary Sector Youth Development Co-Ordinator.

3.

Minutes

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 28 June 2011.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 28 June 2011 were approved and signed as a correct record.

4.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors are requested to declare any personal or prejudicial interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

7.10 pm

5.

Chairman's Announcements

The Chairman will provide information about the new waste and recycling collection service, as in the agenda pack.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

A petition was received by the Chairman of the Area Board. The petition had 934 signatories and stated that ‘We the undersigned request that Wiltshire Council locate the proposed pedestrian crossing point at Quemerford at the end of the Lake View Pavement; where the kerb and pavement have already been modified; so as not to obstruct customer access and parking for Quemerford Post Office and Stores’.

 

The Chairman explained that the petition would be passed to the relevant Cabinet representative.

 

The Chairman drew attention to the written announcement included in the agenda pack about the new waste and recycling collection service. There had been a display stand available to view about the service before the meeting and also a display stand about winter maintenance. The winter maintenance display stand conveyed the information that when using grit bins only one tablespoon was needed per square metre and the salt should be flicked onto the ground, rather than dumped in a heap. Snow also needed to be shovelled, swept and then salted, as salt did not work on snow and below -8c. Grit from grit bins was for highway use only and if anyone discovers an empty bin during winter, please report it to Clarence on 0800 232323.  

 

The Chairman provided an update about the Queen Elizabeth II Fields Challenge. Both Castlefields Canal and River Park and Hilmarton had been nominated by the Area Board and the Area Board was waiting to hear if funding would be available.  

7.20 pm

6.

Partner Updates

To receive an update from the partners listed below:

a.    Wiltshire Police

b.    Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (attached)

c.    NHS Wiltshire (attached)

d.    Calne Community Area Partnership

e.    Calne CAYPIG (Community Area Young People’s Issues Group)

f.     Town and Parish Councils.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

a. The written update from Wiltshire Police available at the meeting was noted. Inspector Steven Cox was no longer the local representative.

 

Decision

The Chairman would write to Inspector Steven Cox to thank him for all of his hard work in the Community Area.

 

b. The written update from Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was noted. Mike Franklin reminded the meeting to sweep their chimneys if they had open fires. Please contact Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service if you would like a home safety visit or advice. A visit could help you to identify potential fire risks and know what to do to reduce or prevent them. The visit could also help you to develop an escape plan in case a fire did happen.

 

c. The written update from NHS Wiltshire was noted.

 

d. Calne Community Area Partnership provided a written update at the meeting. This included that the culture theme group would be supporting the new Calne Food and Drink Festival in September. Calne Area Transport had held a public meeting ‘Don’t miss the bus’ at the end of June in Calne Town Hall to discuss the future of public transport provision in the local area. The Partnership had written a response concerning the Wiltshire Council Core Strategy and the Partnership website had been revamped and should be ready to launch in the Autumn. The five year business plan and the six months community hub progress report had been completed and submitted to the Area Board. Negotiations were continuing with Wiltshire Council to extend the current lease on the community hub beyond the end of October 2011.  

 

An update was also given about Friends of Abberd Brook. The group were awaiting written confirmation regarding their planning application. This should be received in the week commencing 22 August 2011 and then work on the steps and the boardwalk would commence. With regards to the underpass,  the majority of the mosaics were now in place and the final mosaics should be completed by mid-September. The formal opening ceremony had been delayed until 1 October and would hopefully be followed by a community event with barbeque at Coleman’s Farm Learning and Community Centre between 12 and 2.00 pm.

 

e. Will Kay, the Voluntary Sector Youth Development Co-Ordinator, was unfortunately unable to attend the meeting, due to a camping event with young people.

 

f. Hilmarton Parish Council explained their next event would be a street fair on 3 September 2011.

 

Calne Without Parish Council thanked Wiltshire Council for the highways work completed and for the two pedestrian crossing signs at Studley Crossroads.

 

Cherhill Parish Council also thanked Wiltshire Council for the highways work completed. A letter had been written in support of the Lake View petition. There was a conversation about the number of lights that stay on at the junctions through Cherhill and that, as a result of the height of the lamp posts the illusion is, a lot of lights remain left on.

 

Decision

The Area Board would investigate  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.30 pm

7.

DVD from HAGGIS

A short DVD will be presented by the Hilmarton and Goatacre Group Improving Safety.   

Minutes:

Hilmarton and Goatacre Group Improving Safety presented a short DVD. The interactive DVD was based on a fictional village and could be used as an educational tool for families and groups to improve road safety living in a village near a main road. The DVD had been sent to each household in the parish, the school and the library and it had been well received. Please contact the Hilmarton Parish Clerk, jacquiehenly@aol.com, if you would like a copy. 

7.50 pm

8.

Your Local Issues

Councillors will provide an update on community issues and progress on Area Board working groups. This will include:

a.    Skate board park working group

b.    Cycle network working group

c.    Highways working group (attached) – please note, copies of the appendices to this report are available to view online and limited copies will be available at the meeting

d.    Turn off the lights update

e.    Calne campus working group

f.     Section 106 working group. 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Councillors provided an update on community issues and progress on Calne Area Board working groups.

 

a. Councillor Marshall explained the skate board park working group now had a design for the park they wanted at an estimated cost of £140,000. The Town Council, the Community Area Young People’s Issues Group and interested parties were meeting in two weeks to discuss the significant shortfall in funding and potential fundraising opportunities. Young people were actively involved and were working on ideas to raise money. 

 

b. Councillor Berry provided an update about the cycle network working group. Concern was expressed by a representative from Calne Area Transport about progress of the working group and also its potential relevance with respect to developing a strategic transport plan for Calne.

 

Decision

Calne Area Transport would submit to the Area Board in time for the 18 October 2011 meeting, a ten point proposal of transport priorities in the Community Area, agreed by Calne Town Council.

 

c. Councillor Crisp set out that much work had been undertaken by the highways working group. The Area Board were asked to consider recommendations from the working group and the decisions below were made:

 

Decision

The Area Board would allocate £11,368.23 from the 2011/12 Community Area Transport Group funding allocation towards implementing safer pedestrian crossing arrangements at Hilmarton, conditional upon the balance of funding being in place.

 

Decision

The Area Board would allocate £5,000 from the 2010/11 Calne Area Board budget carried over to address projects linked to community priorities towards the implementation of a pedestrian refuge and associated works at Hilmarton, conditional upon the balance of funding being in place.

 

Decision

The Community Area Manager would make a submission to the substantive highways budget for the balance of funding required to implement a safer pedestrian crossing at Hilmarton.

 

Decision

The working group would maintain the issue of safer pedestrian crossing arrangements at Goatacre on their list of priorities for action while further funding was identified and note that the feasibility study produced was considered to meet the requirements of the issue and the local community.

 

Decision

The working group would maintain the issue of safer pedestrian crossing arrangements at Lakeview on their list of priorities for action. The Area Board would note that the working group considered while the feasibility study produced provided a satisfactory technical scheme, it did not adequately meet the requirements of local people and therefore required further investigation.

 

Decision

Councillor Hill would co-ordinate a forum to look further at the issue of safer pedestrian crossing arrangements at Lakeview.

 

Please submit your name to the Community Area Manager, Jane Vaughan, on 01247 721447 or jane.vaughan@wiltshire.gov.uk if you would like to become involved in the forum.  

 

Decision

The Area Board would note the cost of a lighting scheme at Derry Hill/Studley Crossroads.

 

Decision

The Area Board would note that a signage scheme to help address congestion issues at Curzon Street had been implemented and its impact would be assessed and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

8.20 pm

9.

Cabinet Representative

Councillor Fleur de Rhe Phillipe will give a short overview of her role as Cabinet Representative for Economic Development and Strategic Planning.

Minutes:

Councillor Fleur de Rhe Phillipe gave a short overview of her role as Cabinet representative for Economic Development and Strategic Planning.

 

She emphasised that she hoped those present at the meeting had been involved in the recent Core Strategy consultation. The consultation was now finished and a lot of information had been received related to the Calne Community Area. The broad aim for Wiltshire was to reduce out migration and to bring in better value employment.

 

Calne was not due for any more strategic housing sites. Wiltshire Council was keen to balance the need for housing with the need for employment and development was especially wanted by local young people. Calne had always been a main centre of employment in the county due to its proximity to the M4.

 

This was followed by a short question and answer session.

  

8.30 pm

10.

Close

To include any questions about the display stands regarding the new waste and recycling collection service and winter maintenance.

 

The Chairman will then set out arrangements for the next meeting.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman thanked those at the meeting. In an amendment to the agenda, the next Area Board meeting would be held at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 18 October 2011 at John Bentley School, with refreshments available from 6.30 pm.

 

Actions

Search

This website