If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Online

Contact: Lisa Moore  (Democratic Services Officer)


Note No. Item



Welcome and Introductions


The Chairman, Cllr Jose Green, welcomed everyone to the online meeting of the South West Wiltshire Area Board.



Apologies for Absence


Apologies for absence were received from:


·       Fire & Rescue - Richard Humphrey, Station Manager


Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.



There were none.



To confirm as a correct record and sign the minutes of the previous online meeting held on Wednesday 11 November 2020.


To note any matters arising from the minutes of the last meeting.

Supporting documents:



The minutes of the previous online meeting held on 11 November 2020, were agreed a correct record and signed by the Chairman.



Chairman's Announcements

·       My Wilts App – FAQ sheet attached


·        HRC Booking Link - Book a visit to a household recycling centre - Wiltshire Council


·       Speed Cameras


·       Local Plan Review – Paper attached.

Supporting documents:


The Chairman made the following announcements:


·       Open Reach was working hard to deliver fibre optic to residents. Residents could register their interest to sign up to the connectivity if installed in their area. This could be done at Wiltshire online.

·       Thanks to the Waste Collection crews who had continued to provide an amazing service to households throughout the pandemic.

·       Covid Scams – be aware of the number of scams being circulated regarding the vaccination programme. 

·       My Wilts App FAQ sheet attached to the agenda

·       HRC Booking Link - Book a visit to a household recycling centre - Wiltshire Council


Speed Cameras – the folowing questions and comments were raised:


Q – Mr Derryman who was a member of Stoford & South Newton PC, noted that speeding regularly occurred along the A36. The PC was setting up a Community Speedwatch (CSW) group and had 7 volunteers. He stated that at a time when there were many accidents, continued speeding and deaths, he did not understand why the cameras in Wiltshire were not operational.


Q - Mr Mitchell of Tollard Royal PC stated that it was mind blowing as to why the speed cameras in Wiltshire were not switched on. With regards to road safety, when the government ceased funding the scheme, all other counties continued with the speed camera scheme apart from Wiltshire. When our PC had visits from the Police, they were short, one visit was for 20 minutes at a time when there was little traffic.


Cllr Wayman - Other councils also withdrew funding to speed cameras, it was just that other Police forces decided to proceed with it and fund themselves. Wiltshire Police decided they could not do it. Wiltshire Police had invested in a mobile camera unit. Cllr Wayman hoped that unit would be seen around the county. Almost all communities complained of speeding through their villages. The mobile unit needed to be moved around to catch the speeders.


Jerry Herbert, Deputy PCC - One of his responsibilities was Road Safety. Cllr Wayman and he were in regular discussion on what could be done to improve the situation. The static camera issue was not well understood, much of the cost to run a safety camera partnership fell on local resources, however the revenue did not come back to the force. That was why the decision of the two local authorities was made not to continue funding it and it was then discontinued, some 8 or 9 years ago.  The Police line from the force and the Commissioner was that to reactivate the cameras there would need to be a degree of consent of the local authority and a degree of investment of the council.


Generally speaking, targeted mobile enforcement was generally a better way of dealing with static road cameras. Many road users knew where the static cameras were places and therefore they did not contribute to a wider level road safety. 




The Chief Constable had made proposals to increase the numbers of Officers dedicated to Road  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Partner and Community Updates

To receive any verbal updates from Partners and Community Groups present, and to note written updates attached to the agenda.


Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner – Jerry Herbert, Deputy PCC


·       Precept Consultation links:


Public consultation survey (open from 5 January to 2 February) - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PNHBKSG


PCC Precept Video - https://youtu.be/eRMtE_YxdWk


Partner Updates:


·       Police – Warminster CPT (Mere & Tisbury) Salisbury/Wilton update attached

·       Fire & Rescue – update attached (apologies from representative)


Note: Speakers are reminded that they each have a 3 minutes slot, unless they have previously discussed alternative arrangements with the Community Area Manager.


Written Information Items:


·       CCG

·       Healthwatch Wiltshire

·       Wiltshire Council – Covid-19 update

Supporting documents:


The Board noted the written updates and information available via the online pack and received the following verbal presentations and updates from Partners present:


Office of the Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC)

Deputy PCC Jerry Herbert gave a presentation on the annual Precept proposals.


The precept was increased last year, with additional money and the additional officers that came as part of the ‘Boris Bobbies’ scheme, into our Rural Crime team. There would be a total of 65 additional Officers by the end of the financial year. Up to 1050 Officers in total from the 934 two years ago. A vast amount of those Officers were going into the Community Police Teams.


Other areas of Policing which had received an uplift were Cyber-crime, dealing with crime prevention and investigation.


A flat cash settlement from the Home Office would pay the basic costs, beyond that there would be a shortfall of around £3m, that was driven by the fact that the Home Office funding did not pay for the 50% of last years pay award which fell into the next financial year, the increased costs of running the Police Aviation service or the national Police technologies.


The only way to keep the force running at the current level was to rise the precept. A £15 increase a year, which worked out as £1.25 a month for a band D property. Without this they would have to cut Community Policing


It was expected that there would be an add 48 officers in the new financial year.


The Commissioner has just launched a consultation period, running from 5 January 2021 to 2 February 2021. Please could you spread the word on the consultation as would like as may contributions as possible. It offers the chance to contribute your thoughts on what you think the local priorities should be.


 Questions and Comments:


·       What sort of feedback do you get through the consultation?

Answer: About 1100 responses in the first week.


·       When the consultation has finished, would there be justification for the increase in the precept, as previously a high-level response was given as a reason for it being acceptable. 

Answer: There continues to be relatively small numbers, If there is a clever way to get feedback please let us know.


·       What did the PCC Office cost per annum?

Answer: The Cost of the PCC office can be found on our website, it costs around £800k to run. If we stuck at precept without the rise, we would have a £3m deficit, without it we would have to look at some unappetising alternatives.


Neighbourhood Policing Teams (NPT)

Wilton area (Salisbury NPT) – Inspector Pete Sparrow

Mere and Tisbury areas (Warminster NPT) –

The Board noted the written reports attached to the agenda. The following comments and questions were then received:


·       How far can people go for a walk if driving there in a car, what is ‘a reasonable distance’?

Answer: Good question, we have been asked several times, the legislation does  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.



Tackling Fly Tipping in South West Wiltshire

Residents and parish councils repeatedly vote fly tipping highly, as a matter of local concern.  Peter White, Wiltshire Council’s Enforcement Manager will provide up to date information on fly tipping incidents in South West Wiltshire, and colleagues from Wiltshire Police will provide info on their role, working in partnership with the council in this matter.




Karen Linaker, Community Engagement Manager explained the format and introduced the speakers.


Sgt Richard Salter and PC James Barrett gave an outline of the Police role in tackling fly tipping in partnership with Wiltshire Council.


Sgt Salter explained that they dealt with various different areas under rural crime, including hare coursing and rural thefts. We have regular reports of crime taking place in our communities. When I think about rural crime we often think of livestock, farming, criminal damage, poaching and hare coursing, but fly tipping is becoming a blight on our communities.


PC James Barrett explained that when he took over rural policing, WC had taken the lead on investigation and bringing those responsible to court. A lot of the work was carried out by Pete White and his team.


We work in partnership with bordering forces to target individuals. Pete White had carried out training and produced tool kits for our Officers.


If we see a vehicle full of scrap or garden materials, we stop them and ask for their licenses and take action where required. Fines can be up to £300 for certain offences. A lot of the time people are coming across the border to tip waste. We add these people to the number plate recognition list. We can cease vehicles of repeat offenders.


Have carried out joint working, making visits to the scrap yards when we see a spike in thefts of catalytic converters or lead from churches, that works well to nip these problems in the bud.


Have also issued a Police warrant on what was believed to be a ‘chop shop’ an illegal scrap yard.


Also, joint mobile patrols. Before the Covid lockdown, we went out with the WC officers, checking license of contractors carrying out work, and advising members of the public that they must employ people with the correct licences.


Peter White, Wiltshire Council’s Enforcement Manager gave information on local fly tipping incidents in South West Wiltshire.


The collaborative work between Wiltshire Police and WC has make the work on the ground significantly easier.


There was a raise the awareness of the environmental incidents we investigate. I have one FT and one PT staff who work with me across the county.


We are trying to stop flytipping at source, it was about trying to educate householders and businesses to understand that there needed to be relevant checks. Get a receipt, get the details of the vehicle taking the waste away. When we do investigate an incident the house holder could be the one that  ends up being prosecuted if they have not done the relevant checks.


Sgt Salter was involved in an operation last month, working with Dorset Police in the Wilton area. Collaborative working with other agencies creates a good relationship with colleagues, resulting in a day of action and some arrests.




·       Had you considered using small cameras in places there was regular fly tipping incidents?

Answer: Pete - We do use covert cameras; they were strictly regulated.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.



Presentation about the Census 2021, its importance for Wilts and the key target groups.


Presenter: Jonny Corbett – Census Engagement Manager


Jonny Corbett, Census Engagement Manager for Wiltshire, delivered a presentation on the Census 2021, its importance for Wiltshire and the key target groups.


A survey every 10 years, owned by the Office of National Statistics. The purpose of the Census was to gather millions of data points for the government and local and parish councils.


The Census provides information that is used to shape policies, allocate funding and resources, plan services and monitor equality.


The Census would take place on 21 March 2021 and would be a digital first census, with paper copies available for those that required it.


Town and Parish councils were asked to spread the word. A series of useful links for use by parishes are below:

















Update on Local Priorities / Recovery

An update from the Community Engagament Manager Karen Linaker.

Supporting documents:


Karen Linaker, Community Engagement Manager gave an update on the Boards Local Priorities.


The Board was asked to approve the recommendations as set out on page 23 of the agenda pack.


Had two discussions at our area board and have been out to Partners and local groups to hold discussions on what our priorities should be.


Conversations would continue through Jan and Feb – with the view to be able to present in March the plan for future areas to focus on for the new Area Board after the election in May.


Karen listed the 15 emerging themes and issues so far and noted that it would not be possible to focus on all of them, so the Board would need to adopt a top 5 process to focus on.


The Board would need the support of parishes and would need to work in partnership with many of its groups and partners.



The Board approved the recommendations as in the report and listed below:


(1)        To approve and adopt the Community Status report


(2)        To produce a rolling action plan including up to 5 priority actions at any one time to demonstrate where it would contribute to addressing the identified issues.


(3)        Would prioritise its resources including funding upon those issues identified in the status report.


(4)        To request the Community Engagement Manager to work with key partners, agencies and community groups to encourage them to consider where they were best placed to take actions around the priorities identified.

(5)        To request regular updates would be submitted to the Area Board on progress made in relation to its own action plan.

(6)        And Expressed its thanks to those who gave their time to help bring the report together.





Updated Pedestrian Gates Policy

The Board is asked to consider and adopt the revised policy and the list of sites in the attached report and agree to work with Parish Councils to support them in exploring whether or not to submit an application to this policy.


Supporting documents:


The Chairman and Karen had met with Alex Howsen, the Rights of Way & Countryside Access Officer to discuss the Pedestrian Gates Scheme as we felt that it had not been taken up by parishes as well as it might have.


Karen explained that the report attached to the agenda, detailed the current scheme and funding situation.


Some suggested amendments had been made to the scheme which would allow for a wider range of works to be considered.



Swallowcliffe PC – The policy is expanded to include the peripheral aspects such as steps, when I had to complete a form for a project it was fairly onerous, I understand now that we are able to take a photo and submit that?

Answer: We would still need a grant application form completed, due to funding being an auditable process. 


Were applications for bridal way gates now accepted?

Answer – You can apply for what you think is appropriate, each application will be judged on its own merits by the Officer.


Maybe change the heading of the policy to be more inclusive?

Answer: Yes good point


The scheme would be called ‘Rights of Way Improvement Scheme’.


The Board considered the revised policy and the list of sites as detailed in the report attached to the agenda.



The Board agreed to:


a)    the revised policy with the addition of renaming it ‘Rights of Way Improvement Scheme’.


b)    work with Parish Councils to support them in exploring whether or not to submit an application to this policy.




Community Area Transport Group (CATG) Update

To consider the minutes and recommendations arising from the last CATG meeting held on 16 December 2020, as attached.


Supporting documents:


The Board noted the minutes and considered the recommendations arising from the last CATG meeting held on 16 December 2020.


Next meeting 17 February 2021.



The Board approved the recommendations for CATG funding as set out in the report attached to the agenda.




Area Board Funding

Community Area Grants

The Board members will consider applications for funding from the Community Area Grants Scheme:


·       Mere PC – Fingerpost replacement - £400

·       Fovant Youth Club - Building - £4495

·       ArtCare - Well-being TV at SDH - £2500

·       Donhead St Andrew PC – Fingerpost replacement - £400

·       Semley VH – Replacement Fencing - £750


Health & Wellbeing Funding

·       Salisbury Older Persons Champion – Afternoon Tea to isolated people in SWW - £250 – Awarded under delegated powers of the CEM, in consultation with the Chairman.



Supporting documents:


The Board considered the Funding report and applications, as attached to the agenda. Applicants present were invited to give a brief summary of their applications, followed by any questions.


Community Area Grants:


Mere PC requested £400 towards a Fingerpost replacement.



The Board awarded £400 to Mere PC towards a Fingerpost replacement.


The project met the Community Area Grant criteria for 2020/21.


Fovant Youth Club requested £4495 towards the building project.

Mrs Brantingham spoke in support of the application.



Had the PC confirmed it was happy to contribute further funding?

Answer: Clerk of PC – the parish council had confirmed to put in £1k for next year and has warm support to this initiative.



The Board awarded £4495 to Fovant YC towards the building improvement project with the condition that an update on the project be fed back to the Board.


The project met the Community Area Grant criteria for 2020/21


ArtCare requested £2500 towards the Wellbeing TV project at SDH

Rebecca Seymore spoke in support of the application


The Board awarded £2500 to Artcare towards the Wellbeing TV project at SDH.


The project met the Community Area Grant criteria for 2020/21


Donhead St Andrew PC requested £400 towards a fingerpost replacement.



The Board awarded £400 to Donhead St Andrew PC towards the Fingerpost replacement.


The project met the Community Area Grant criteria for 2020/21


Semeley VH requested £750 towards replacement fencing.



The Board awarded £750 to Semeley VH towards the replacement fencing.


The project met the Community Area Grant criteria for 2020/21


Health & Wellbeing Funding:


Salisbury Older Persons Champion requested £250 to run an Afternoon Tea for isolated older people. This application had been allocated under CEM delegated powers, in consultation with the Chairman.



The Board noted the award of £250 to the Salisbury Older Person’s Champion for the Afternoon Teas project for isolated people, which was awarded under delegated powers of the CEM.





The next meeting of the Board is on Wednesday XXX, at 6.30pm


The next meeting of the South west Wiltshire Area Board will be held on 17 March 2021, 6.30pm.





This website