Venue: The Pump Room - The Old Fire Station Enterprise Centre, 2 Salt Lane, Salisbury, SP1 1DU. View directions
Contact: Ellen Ghey ( Democratic Services Officer)
Election of Chairman
To elect a Chairman for the meeting of the Sub Committee.
Nominations for a Chairman of the Licensing Sub Committee were sought and it was
To elect Councillor Kevin Daley as Chairman for this meeting only.
Apologies for Absence/Substitutions
To receive any apologies for absence and to note any substitutions.
There were no apologies or substitutions.
Procedure for the Meeting
The Chairman will explain the attached procedure for the members of the public present.
The Chairman notified all those present at the meeting that it was not being recorded by Wiltshire Council, but that the meeting could be recorded by the press or members of the public.
The Chairman reminded those present that any speakers that wished to remain and make a statement to the Sub Committee would be giving consent to there being the possibility that they would be recorded presenting this.
It was noted that those that had made a representation would not be identified by name within the minutes.
The Chairman then asked if anyone present wished to withdraw from the meeting. All parties confirmed they wished to remain in and take part in the Sub Committee hearing.
The Chairman explained the procedure to be followed at the hearing, as contained within the “Wiltshire Licensing Committee Procedural Rules for the Hearing of Licensing Act 2003 Applications” (Pages 5 - 10 of the Agenda refers).
The Chairman will give details of the exits to be used in the event of an emergency.
The Chairman gave details of the exits to be used in the event of an emergency.
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.
There were no interests declared.
To consider and determine an application for a new Club Certificate in respect of Chalke Valley Cricket Club, Cricket Pavilion, Church Street, Bowerchalke, SP5 5BB. The report of the Public Protection Officer (Licensing) is attached.
Application for A Club Premises Certificate in respect of Chalke Valley Cricket Club, made by Helen Souch, Club Secratery.
The Sub Committee gave consideration to a report (circulated with the agenda) in which determination was sought for an application for a Club Premises Certificate, presented by Andrew Noble (Public Protection Officer – Licensing) for which 2 relevant representations had been received. The application was for the following licensable activities:
· Sale by retail of alcohol, On and Off Sales, Monday through to Sunday, from 12:00 hrs to 21:00hrs.
It was noted by the Sub Committee that there were xx options available to them:
1. To grant the certificate subject to such conditions as are consistent with those included in the operating schedule submitted with the application, modified to such extent as the Sub Committee considers appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives, together with any mandatory conditions required by the Licensing Act.
2. To exclude from the scope of the application any licensable activity.
3. To refuse to specify a person as the designated premises supervisor
4. To reject the application
The following parties attended the hearing and took part in it:
On behalf of the Applicant
· Ms Helen Souch, Club Secretary
· Mr M Willits, Club Fixture Secretary
· Rep 2 – Local Resident
The Chairman advised that the written representations had been read and considered by the members of the Sub Committee in advance of the meeting. The Chair invited the Applicant to introduce their application.
The Applicant’s Submission
The Applicant and their representative spoke in support of the application, highlighting the following points:
· The Cricket Club had been at the site for 13 years.
· The lease had been gifted to the Club by the current Landlords mother, who was now deceased. The original owner of the land was supportive of the club and had a good relationship with the Cricket Club.
· The club had applied for a Club Certificate to enhance the control measures around the sale and consumption of alcohol as part of its progression to a higher league.
· There was a strong desire to run the club correctly.
· Currently those attending the games were allowed to bring their own alcohol and consume it whilst watching the game, with no restrictions in place.
· Having a Club Certificate would allow the sale of alcohol which would control when people could and could not drink. There would also be more scope to monitor consumption levels.
· There was no history of alcohol related issues at the club.
· The club had not previously been able to monitor the quantity of alcohol brought to games by the opposition teams.
· The club would prevent attendees brining their own alcohol once a Club Certificate was obtained.
Sub Committee Member’s questions
In response to the Members questions to the Applicant, the following points of clarification were given:
· Whilst a Club Certificate would enable the club to exercise greater control over the availability of alcohol, it did not prevent ... view the full minutes text for item 17.
Appendix 1 - Club Certificate Application from Chalke Valley Cricket Club
Appendix 2 - Maps A and B
Appendix 3 - Photos of the Cricket Pavilion and Storage Units
Appendix 4 - Representations 1 and 2