If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices, Browfort, Bath Road, Devizes SN10 2AT. View directions

Contact: Pam Denton  Email: pam.denton@wiltshire.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

71.

Apologies

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Cllr Nigel Carter and Mr Robert Oglesby

72.

Minutes of previous meeting

To confirm and sign the minutes of the Committee meeting held on 21 September (copy attached).

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2011 were presented

 

Resolved:

 

To approve the minutes as a correct record.

73.

Chairman's announcements

Minutes:

There were no announcements

74.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest

75.

Public Participation and Questions from Committee Members.

The Council welcomes contributions from members of the public.

 

Statements

 

If you would like to make a statement at this meeting on any item on this agenda, please register to do so at least 10 minutes prior to the meeting. Up to 3 speakers are permitted to speak for up to 3 minutes each on any agenda item. Please contact the officer named on the front of the agenda for any further clarification.

 

Questions

 

To receive any questions from members of the public or members of the Council received in accordance with the constitution. Those wishing to ask questions are required to give notice of any such questions in writing to the officer named on the front of the agenda (acting on behalf of the Director of Resources) no later than 5pm on Wednesday 16 November 2011. Please contact the officer named on the front of this agenda for further advice. Questions may be asked without notice if the Chairman decides that the matter is urgent.

 

Details of any questions received will be circulated to Committee members prior to the meeting and made available at the meeting and on the Council’s website.

 

Minutes:

There were no members of the public present

76.

Report on Behaviours Framework

To consider a report from the Monitoring Officer.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

With the agreement of the Chairman this item was taken first.

 

Cllr Laura Mayes, Portfolio Holder with responsibility for Organisational Culture introduced the presentation by the HR Project Officer and explained where the ideas for the behavioural framework came from and how it would be used.

 

The committee were asked to consider how it could be linked to the new Code of Conduct which will be developed following the publication of the Localism Act.

 

Following a debate it was

 

Resolved:

 

To support the behaviours framework for Wiltshire Council in order to ensure that it is consistent with the Code of Conduct for members to be developed under the Localism Act.

77.

The Localism Bill - Update and Implications for Wiltshire Council

To consider a report from the Monitoring Officer.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Monitoring Officer introduced the report which had been written prior to publication of the Act and added that a note outlining the provisions would be circulated to committee members.

 

Details of the highlights of the Act were summarised and the committee were asked to consider how to take these issues forward.  It was suggested that this could be achieved through a Task and Finish Group and the membership was agreed as follows;

 

Town and Parish Council Co-opted Members

Mr John Scragg

Miss Pam Turner

 

Independent Co-opted Members

Mr Gerry Robson OBE

Mr Michael Cronin

Mr Philip Gill MBE JP

 

Wiltshire Councillor

 Mr Julian Johnson

 

Members considered the recommendation made in the report and

 

Resolved:

 

1.     To require the Monitoring Officer to draft a local Code of Conduct for Wiltshire Council that meets the anticipated statutory requirements for local codes, and to bring the draft to the next Standards Committee meeting for consideration.  The draft should have regard to previous work and consultation that has taken place in anticipation of the need to introduce a local Code;

 

2.     To require the Monitoring Officer to draft a person specification and job description for the role of independent person and bring it to the next meeting for consideration;

 

3.     To require the Monitoring Officer to draft a report on the proposed composition of and terms of reference for a new Standards Committee  and the steps to be taken to dissolve the  current Standards Committee for Wiltshire Council  and bring it to the next meeting for consideration;

 

4.     To require the Monitoring Officer to consult with parish councils about the implementation of local codes and the desirability, in principle, of adopting a single code of conduct for all of the councils within the area of Wiltshire Council and to provide a briefing note to town and parish councils on this issue;

 

5.     To require the Monitoring Officer to identify resources required to meet the provisions of the Bill as those affect the standards regime in Wiltshire Council;

 

6.     To require the Monitoring Officer to prepare a draft procedure for the receipt, assessment, investigation and determination of complaints under a local code of conduct and permitted sanctions and bring the draft to the next meeting for consideration.  The draft should have regard to previous work and consultation that has been carried out in anticipation of a local code;

 

7.     To require the Monitoring Officer to bring a further report on the standards provisions of the Localism Bill to this committee after the Bill has received Royal Assent.

 

8.     To require the Monitoring Officer to consider training for Town, Parish and Wiltshire Council Councillors.

 

9.     To agree to set up a Task and Finish Group to consider the implications of the Localism Act.

 

78.

Report on Corporate Complaints

To consider the report by the Monitoring Officer.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman thanked the Head of Governance for her report.

 

After a short discussion it was,

 

Resolved:

 

To note the contents of the report.

 

 

79.

Standards Committee Plan

To consider the Standards Committee Plan.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Committee noted the revised Standard Committee Plan.

80.

Status Report on Complaints made under the Code of Conduct

To consider the Status Report on Complaints.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Governance introduced the Status Report on Complaints made under the Code of Conduct.  The Committee noted the challenging workload.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the report.

81.

Outcome of two Standards Hearing Sub Committees

To consider reports of the Monitoring Officer

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Monitoring Officer drew the Committees attention to the outcome of two Hearing Sub Committees.  He explained that these two cases had involved significant time delays.  Every effort has now been made to follow the imposed deadlines and in general deadlines are met where feasibly possible.  He also went on to explain that subject members were now invited to participate in the pre hearing meetings and this had been seen as a positive development and would be used in subsequent hearing procedure.

 

Resolved:

 

To note the report.

82.

Forward Plan

To consider the Forward Work Plan.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Committee’s forward plan was presented. 

 

 

83.

Urgent Items

Any other items of business, which in the opinion of the Chairman, should be taken as a matter of urgency.  Urgent items of a confidential nature may be considered under Part II of this agenda.

 

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

Actions

Search

This website