If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Online Meeting

Contact: Kieran Elliott  Email: kieran.elliott@wiltshire.gov.uk, 01225 718504

Media

Items
No. Item

10.

Apologies

To receive any apologies or substitutions for the meeting.

Minutes:

There were no apologies for the meeting.

11.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 15 January 2020.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the minutes of the last meeting, as detailed on pages 5-14 of the agenda.

 

The Chairman moved that the minutes be approved and signed as a true and correct record. Councillor Derek Brown seconded the motion.

 

Members were asked if there were any objections to the motion, there being none, it was:

 

Resolved:

 

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held on 15 January 2020.

12.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made at the meeting.

 

13.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive any announcements through the Chair.

Minutes:

It was noted that as this was the first meeting of the committee to be held remotely. If any technical issues were experienced during the course of the meeting there may be a need to adjourn or reschedule.

 

14.

Meeting Procedure and Public Participation

During the ongoing Covid-19 situation the Council is operating revised procedures to permit remote attendance of meetings. The procedure for the Strategic Planning Committee including public participation is attached.

 

Access the online meeting here

 

Public guidance for accessing meetings online is available here

 

Statements

Members of the public who wish to submit a statement in support of or in objection to an application on this agenda should submit it to the officer named on this agenda no later than 5pm on 7 May 2020.

 

Those statements in accordance with the Constitution will be included in an agenda supplement. Those statements should:

 

·       State whom the statement is from (including if representing another person or organisation)  

·       State clearly whether the statement is in objection to or support of the application  

·       If read aloud, be readable in approximately 3 minutes  

 

Questions

To receive any questions from members of the public or members of the Council received in accordance with the constitution which excludes, in particular, questions on non-determined planning applications.

 

Those wishing to ask questions are required to give notice of any such questions in writing to the officer named on the front of this agenda no later than 5pm on 5 May 2020 in order to be guaranteed of a written response. In order to receive a verbal response questions must be submitted no later than 5pm on7 May 2020. Please contact the officer named on the front of this agenda for further advice. Questions may be asked without notice if the Chairman decides that the matter is urgent.

 

Details of any questions received will be circulated to Committee members prior to the meeting and made available at the meeting and on the Council’s website.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

At the beginning of the meeting the Chairman confirmed with each Member of the Committee that they could see and hear all relevant materials.

 

The procedure for the meeting was set out on Pages 15-18 of the agenda.

 

For the benefit of those listening the Chairman summarised how each planning application to be determined would be debated.

 

 

15.

19/07824/WCM: Land to the north of the Rudloe Water Treatment Works, Bath Road, Rudloe Firs, Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13 0PG

Construction of a new inclined mine entrance from the surface into the existing permitted mine workings, and the construction of ancillary surface facilities including new cutting shed/workshop, block storage area, alterations to existing vehicular access and landscaping.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Public Statements

Dr David W Lynn & Mr Philip E Green - objection

Robert & Jo Pegg - objection

Sue & Mark Maidment - objection

Matthew Hawker - support

Nicholas Johnston - support

Christopher Bean - support

 

The Committee received a presentation from Mike Wilmott, Head of Development Management, which set out the main issues in respect of the application. The purpose of the report was to assess the merits of the proposal against the policies of the development plan and other material considerations, and to consider the recommendation that the application was approved subject to conditions.

 

The application proposed the construction of a new inclined mine entrance from the surface into the existing permitted mine workings, and the construction of ancillary surface facilities including a new cutting shed/workshop, block storage area, alterations to existing vehicular access and landscaping.

 

The application was scheduled to be considered by the Strategic Planning Committee at its meeting on 23 March 2020. However, the 23 March meeting was cancelled due to the Covid-19 situation. Immediately prior to the 23 March meeting four further third party ‘late’ representations were received. These were all objections, although raising no new issues to those already set out in the ‘Representations’ section of the report and addressed in the ‘Planning Issues’ section.

 

Key points included the location of the existing water treatment works which used the double gated access from the A4. The previous operators had permission for access on to Bradford Rd, which was granted in 2016. The proposals would see a reduced transport time, shorter distance, enabling a safer and more efficient mining operation. Other key issues included the landscaping and acoustic mitigation to be included, operation hours at the site, the site adjoining but not being within an AONB, site traffic and other highways concerns.

 

The Chairman invited Members to ask any technical questions of the Officer. It was confirmed if the application were approved, the existing permission for an entrance on Bradford Road would be rescinded, that the entrance and signage were in line with requests from Highways officers, that the land was currently for agricultural use and therefore the site itself contained no red kite nesting and that there were conditions on number of vehicle movements in and out of the site. Details were also sought on the location of residential properties and screening of the site and in relation to the AONB. The AONB had been consulted and had not responded. It was confirmed a detailed acoustic survey report had been received and mitigation measures included in the application.

 

The Chairman then asked the Democratic Services Officer, Kieran Elliott, to read out the public statements which had been submitted in accordance with the procedure as detailed above. All of the statements submitted within the deadline were also available in the previously uploaded agenda supplement online along with the presentation to the meeting.

 

The Local Member, Councillor Brian Mathew, was then able to address the Committee, he spoke in objection to the application, noting the large amount  ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

19/11524/DP3: Wiltshire Council Depot, Furnax Lane, Warminster, BA12 8PE

Redevelopment of the existing highway depot. Proposed 4000T salt store, 8no. vehicle bays and welfare facilities and external storage areas.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Public Participation

Harriet James – objection

 

The Chairman confirmed once again for the record that all members could hear and where possible see all relevant materials.

 

The Committee received a presentation from Mike Wilmott, Head of Development Management, which set out the main issues in respect of the application. The purpose of the report was to assess the merits of the proposal against the policies of the development plan and other material considerations, and to consider the recommendation that the application be approved subject to conditions.

 

The application proposed the Redevelopment of the existing highway depot. To create a 4000T salt store, with 8 vehicle bays and welfare facilities and external storage areas.

 

It was also stated that this was a Wiltshire Council application to which there had been written letters of objection from the public consultation. Therefore, the application had been brought to the Planning Committee for determination in the interests of transparency.

 

This application was originally scheduled to be considered at the March meeting of the committee, which was cancelled due to the covid-19 situation.

 

The site entrance from Furnax Lane was within the employment area of an industrial estate. Proposed plans for buildings and landscaping were included in the presentation.  A Landscape plan was included which would replace some of the trees that had been removed at a separate time. It was stated it was a Council strategy to concentrate the facilities for gritting across the council’s area, to bring storage of salt up to modern standards and reduce pollution through run off at other sites.

 

The Chairman invited Members to ask any technical questions of the Officer, where it was clarified that the removal of trees on the site was unrelated to the consideration of this planning application by members.

 

The Chairman stated that a representation which had been received after the deadline would be included in the statements to be read out, because it had been previously submitted for the last meeting which had been cancelled. However, as it was over the 3 minutes allowed, the officer would only be able to read what was possible in the allocated time.

 

The Chairman then asked the Democratic Services Officer, Kieran Elliott, to read out the public statements which had been submitted in accordance with the procedure as detailed above. All of the statements submitted within the deadline were also available in the previously uploaded agenda supplement online along with the presentation to the meeting.

 

In response, the Head of Development Manager noted that the work to cut down the trees which was referenced was a matter to be taken up with The Forestry Commission. The trees on the site had not been protected by a Tree Preservation Order.

 

The Chairman moved the motion of approval with conditions, in line with the Officer recommendation. This was seconded by Councillor Derek Brown.

 

A debate followed where some Members felt the extent of tree removal which had occurred was too severe, although this was unrelated to the consideration of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 16.

17.

19/09862/VAR: Tricky's Paddock, Brickworth Road, Whiteparish, Wiltshire, SP5 2QG

Variation of Condition 3 of Planning Approval 18/09609/VAR to allow an additional pitch and changes to the existing pitch to include for each pitch a static mobile home, a family dayroom and tourer for a family member with associated treatment plant.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Public Participation

Peter Claydon - Objection

Dr Roger M Sherwin - Objection

Simon & Hilary Parsons - Objection

Keith Smith - Support 

James Gammell - Support

Whiteparish Parish Council – objection

 

The Chairman confirmed once again for the record that all members could hear and where possible see all relevant materials.

 

The Committee received a presentation from Mike Wilmott, Head of Development Management, which set out the main issues in respect of the application. The purpose of the report was to assess the merits of the proposal against the policies of the development plan and other material considerations, and to consider the recommendation that the application be approved subject to conditions.

 

The application proposed the Variation of Condition 3 of Planning Approval 18/09609/VAR to allow an additional pitch and changes to the existing pitch and to include for each pitch a static mobile home, a family dayroom and tourer for a family member with associated treatment plant.

 

The application was originally scheduled to be heard on the 25 March 2020 meeting of the Strategic Planning Committee, which was subsequently cancelled due to the covid-19 situation.

 

The location of the existing one pitch site in relation to the A27 and A36 was shown. The proposal was to extend this to include a second pitch with two new single-storey day rooms, one for each pitch, and a treatment plant.

 

The existing pitch had a personal permission attached to it, for the applicant Mr James Gammell. The second pitch would be occupied by the applicant’s son and dependents. The Applicant would benefit by having his son close by due to his reported medical condition, for which evidence had been provided.

 

Details of relevant planning policies were provided. It was also confirmed the council did not have a 5-year land supply for Gypsy and Traveller sites and this was a material consideration. Previous appeal decisions were noted.

 

The Chairman invited Members to ask any technical questions of the Officer where it was clarified that what was currently permitted on the site. In response to queries around the permitted use being exceeded this was stated to be an enforcement matter, and acknowledged that the current situation did make enforcement more difficult. Details were sought on the level of unmet need for Gypsy and Traveller sites.

 

The Chairman then asked the Democratic Services Officer, Kieran Elliott, to read out the public statements which had been submitted in accordance with the procedure as detailed above. All of the statements submitted within the deadline were also available in the previously uploaded agenda supplement online along with the presentation to the meeting.

 

The Local Member, Councillor Richard Britton, was then invited to address the Committee, where he spoke in objection to the application He noted that the site had been subject to requests for enforcement of existing conditions, detailed past history of the site, the unsuitability of the site for residential use particularly in the context of the local landscaping, which would be increased if the application were approved.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

Urgent Items

Any other items of business, which in the opinion of the Chairman, should be taken as a matter of urgency.

 

Actions

Search

This website