If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Devizes Community Hub and Library, 25 Sheep Street, Devizes, SN10 1DJ

Contact: Libby Johnstone (Senior Democratic Services Officer) 

Items
Note No. Item

6:30pm

32.

Welcome

To welcome those present to the meeting.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed those present to the meeting and invited councillors to introduce themselves.

33.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Anna Cuthbert, Inspector Nick Mawson and Jack Nicholson.

34.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 17 July 2017.  

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

An amendment to the attendance record on the minutes was proposed to mark the attendance of Devizes Town Councillor, Judy Rose.

 

Resolved:

 

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 17 July, subject to an amendment to reflect the attendance of Cllr Judy Rose.

35.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

 

Minutes:

Cllr Gamble declared a non-pecuniary interest in agenda item 13, a funding application from West Lavington Village Hall, and would not participate in the debate or vote on this item.

6:35pm

36.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive the following announcements through the Chairman:

 

·        Draft Housing Site Allocations Plan for Wiltshire and housing need in Devizes.

·        Emergency planning in our community

·        Challenges Ahead

·        Waste Management Strategy and Household Recycling Centres

·        Assertive Outreach Worker for the homeless

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman drew attention to the following announcements available in the agenda pack:

 

·        Housing Site Allocations Plan for Wiltshire

·        Emergency Planning

·        Challenges Ahead

·        Waste Management Strategy

·        Household Recycling Centres

·        Assertive Outreach Worker

 

Cllr Jacobs also advised a meeting was to be held on 28 September at Devizes Town Hall, led by Claire Perry MP, to launch a ‘New Conversation on Housing’ for the area.

 

Finally, the meeting heard that uptake of accommodation at Needham House Extra Care facility had been good with 27 out of the 47 apartments having already been allocated.

6:50pm

37.

Welcome to Devizes Hub

Graeme Morrison, Community Engagement Manager, will introduce the facilities available to the community at the new Hub. 

Minutes:

Graeme Morrison, Community Engagement Manager, welcomed residents to the new Devizes Community Hub which included a library, Registration Services, Customer Services and Revenues and Benefits services. The meeting heard the hub included meeting rooms available for community or business hire and the official open day was to be held on 10 October and would feature many activities, particularly for children.

 

The Chairman thanked Graeme for his update.

7:00pm

38.

Partner Updates

To receive updates from the following partners:

 

a.    Wiltshire Police

b.    Fire and Rescue Service

c.    Health Services

d.    Devizes Community Area Partnership

e.    Schools updates

f.      Town and Parish Councils

g.    Devizes Community Area Wellbeing Group

h.    Community Engagement Manager

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Written updates were available in the pack from Wiltshire Police, Fire and Rescue Services and Health Services.

 

Cllr Philip Whitehead directed a statement to Police and Crime Commissioner Angus Macpherson to express his disappointment in Wiltshire Police’s involvement in the television programme 999 What’s Your Emergency for giving a false impression of Wiltshire and proving detrimental to its reputation.

 

Ade Hurren, Fire and Rescue Service, took a question from the floor on how the service engaged with boat dwellers along the canal in Devizes. The officer advised the service was particularly active during annual Boat Week and also had officers who would visit boats along the canal towpath to talk about safety issues.

 

Sarah Lowkis, Lavington School, updated on excellent exam results achieved over the summer, particularly by two students who received top marks in every subject. Other updates included the progress of establishing army cadets at the school and recent Duke of Edinburgh experiences.

 

Philip Bevan, Devizes School, was also pleased to cite good exam results and an increased student uptake.

 

The Chairman commented it was fantastic to hear of such success and young people going on to university, and hoped they could return to work in the local area after their studies.

 

Mike Challinor, Chairman of the Devizes Community Area Wellbeing Group, explained the group was currently working to organise a wellbeing event for June the following year. Another key project was the establishment of a film club for older people in the area. Cllr Jacobs advised the Devizes ‘Men’s Shed’ was very close to moving into its premises at Needham House.

 

Graeme Morrison, Community Engagement Manager, thanked the community for their involvement in the Big Pledge 2017, particularly Devizes School which had recorded high levels of activity. The meeting also heard about the WW1 centenary tree planting project with Graeme was organising in consultation with town and parish councils. Town and Parish councillors were encouraged to get in touch with Graeme to put forward ideas about where trees should be planted in the area.

7:15pm

39.

Open Floor

Residents are invited to ask questions of their local councillors.

Minutes:

A question was raised from the floor as to what the Board could do to support the Canal and River Trust to prevent boats staying beyond their license in the Devizes area. The Board agreed to raise this issue with Wiltshire Council officers if they could be sent specific details. It was confirmed that long-stay mooring areas were available for those who had the suitable license.

 

A proposal was bought to the Area Board to install electric car charging points at the car park in Devizes market, to support greener technology and improve tourism. Cllr Philip Whitehead advised the Council would not progress this due to the significant investment it would require to install the power supply for this, and the impact upon parking spaces. In summary, funding and guidance from central government would be required to progress this.

 

Simon Fisher gave an update on behalf of Devizes Town Council, which included details of progress on the Devizes Neighbourhood Plan and increased efforts to improve connections with the towns to which Devizes was twinned.

7:25pm

40.

Improving Air Quality in Our Community

Cllr Cuthbert will update the meeting on the latest work of the Devizes Air Quality and Transport Strategy Group.

Minutes:

The Chairman invited questions on the progress of the Devizes Air Quality and Strategy Transport Group. Some concern was expressed as to whether the group was making progress and the merits of establishing a new group to look afresh at air quality The Area Board recommended the best way of proceeding was for interested members to join the existing group and assist in progressing its priorities. Cllr Whitehead reassured that progress was being made, albeit sometimes slow, for instance workwas  underway to improve traffic flow at Windsor Drive, and new air quality sensors had already been fixed around the town.

 

7:35pm

41.

Devizes Wharf Regeneration Project

Rory Bowen and Tom Smith to update on the progress of the Wharf regeneration project and next steps.

Minutes:

Tom Smith and Rory Bowen gave an update on the progress of the Wharf regeneration project which was designed to create a Supplementary Planning Document which Wiltshire Council could use to direct future development on this strategic site in Devizes. The design brief was currently out for consultation and the officers had spoken with approximately 200 local people. Next steps were to have meetings with key landowners on the site and explore car parking options further.

 

The officers presented layout plans for the site and identified key issues to be addressed such as: pedestrian access, improving cultural and hospitality offering, making the area an attractive entrance to the town and linking it to the main shopping district in the centre.

 

Questions were raised as to the ability for coaches to park and nearby public toilets for tourists. Officers confirmed there would continue to be a dedicated area for coach parking in the town, perhaps the existing location could continue to be used as there were toilets nearby. Officers cautioned against the idea of building new public conveniences as this had not worked well in other schemes. A question was raised as to the Council’s ability to implement a Compulsory Purchase Order for the Assize Court and the Board advised this issue was in hand.

 

The Chairman thanked the officers for their informative presentation and hard work on developing the scheme.

7:50pm

42.

Local Youth Network

To receive an update from the Local Youth Network and consider an application for £899.83 funding towards activities to be delivered by Alabare.

 

To note a decision of the Local Youth Network to procure Barnardos Wiltshire to deliver a research project with LGBT young people.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Helen Bradley, Locality Youth Facilitator, updated that the Local Youth Network (LYN) had commissioned Barnardos to undertake research with LGBT young people in the area to assess the support they required from the LYN.

 

A representative from Alabare spoke in support of a youth grant application to support the organisation to deliver craft and sport activities to single, young homeless people in the area.

 

Resolved:

To grant Alabare £899.83 funding for craft and sport activities.

 

To note a decision of the Local Youth Network to procure Barnardos Wiltshire to deliver a research project with LGBT young people, using funding agreed at a previous Area Board.

8:00pm

43.

Community Area Transport Group (CATG)

To consider the update and any recommendations arising from the Community Area Transport Group (CATG) meeting held on 6 September 2017.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Philip Whitehead introduced two funding recommendations from the CATG which required Area Board ratification, one in respect of playground warning signs in Etchilhampton, another to enable the extension of the Devizes to Potterne footpath. The footpath project was then expected to be part of the Substantive Highways Fund bid for further funding.

 

Resolved:

To approve £300 towards playground warning signs at Etchilhampton, subject to a 25% contribution from the Parish Council.

 

To approve £4,000 to initiate a land transfer to enable a footpath extension between Potterne and Devizes

8:10pm

44.

Area Board Funding

To consider the following applications to the Community Area Grants Scheme:

 

·         West Lavington Village Hall - £2753.00 for the installation of CCTV

 

·         Bromham Social Centre - £2000.00 for an upgrade of the centre’s toilets

 

·         Easterton Village Hall - £5000.00 for new toilets

 

·         Devizes and District Allotment Association - £1000.00 for a community orchard

 

·         Urchfont Parish Council - £1500.00 for an air conditioning unit for the community shop

 

To receive an update on a previous application from ‘Strange Old Things’ Museum.

 

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Area Board was asked to consider applications from the Community Area Grants Scheme.

 

Sandra Gamble spoke in support of an application towards the installation of CCTV cameras at West Lavington Village Hall to deter vandalism and antisocial behaviour suffered there over the summer months.

 

Jean Collens spoke to the application from Bromham Social Centre for funding towards an upgrade of the centre’s toilets to improve the facilities at the well-used centre.

 

David Green, spoke in support of an application from Easterton Village Hall to improve the toilet facilities at the hall which was in the latter phases of renovation.

 

Nigel Carter spoke in support of funding for the Devizes and District Allotment Association community orchard, the funding would provide new trees for the areas of the allotment that required enhancing.

 

Graham Day introduced an application from Urchfont Parish Council for funding to purchase an air conditioning unit for the community shop, this would allow improved cooling in the food storage room.

 

The Chairman advised the meeting that a previous application from ‘Strange Old Things’ museum had been withdrawn.

 

Cllr Jacobs also introduced a member-led initiative for funding to support woodland management at Broadleas Wood since work was still needed at the northern end of the wood to build on improvements achieved elsewhere.

 

Resolved:

 

To grant West Lavington Village Hall £2,753 for the installation of CCTV cameras;

 

To grant Bromham Social Centre £2,000 for an upgrade to the toilet facilities;

 

To grant Easterton Village Hall £5,000 for an upgrade to the toilet facilities;

 

To grant Devizes and District Allotment Association  £1,000 towards a community orchard;

 

To grant Urchfont Parish Council £1,500 for an air conditioning unit for the community shop;

 

To note a previous application from ‘Strange Old Things’ Museum had been withdrawn;

 

To approve a Cllr-led initiative for £1,600 to support woodland management at Broadleas Wood.

 

 

 

 

8:25pm

45.

Urgent items

Any other items of business which the Chairman agrees to consider as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

The Chairman indicated a funding decision would be taken between meetings of the Area Board by the Community Engagement Manager in respect of the Sustainable Devizes Event.

8:25pm

46.

Close

The next ordinary meeting of the Area Board will be held on 20 November 6:30pm at the Community Hub.

Minutes:

The next ordinary meeting of the Board was to be held on 20 November 6:30pm at the Community Hub.

 

Actions

Search

This website