If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Nursteed Community Centre, Nursteed Rd, Devizes SN10 3AF

Contact: Tara Shannon  Senior Democratic Services Officer

Items
Note No. Item

6.30pm

56.

Welcome

To welcome those present to the meeting.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and invited Members to introduce themselves.

57.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

All Members were present, however the following regular attendees sent apologies:

 

·       Worton Parish Council

·       Mark Lascelles (Headmaster at Dauntesy’s)

·       Simon Fisher (Clerk, Devizes Town Council)

·       Devizes Indies

·       Georgina Keily Theobald (Headteacher, Downlands)

·       Cllr Julia Ford (West Lavington Parish Council)

·       Ralph Plummer (Headteacher, Lavington School)

·       Cllr Judy Rose, Devizes Town Council

58.

Minutes

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 6 December 2021.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the last meeting were presented for consideration and it was,

 

Resolved

 

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 6 December 2021.

59.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

 

Minutes:

The Chairman declared a pecuniary interest in agenda item 11, specifically the grant application from DOCA as he was Chair of DOCA. He therefore declared that he would not take part in the debate or vote on that grant application.

6.35pm

60.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive the following announcements through the Chairman:

 

·       Changes to residual waste collection days from 28 February 2022

·       Ask Angela Campaign relaunch

·       Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebrations 2-5 June 2022

·       Reminder of changes to the Highway Code from 29 January 2022

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman referred the meeting to the written updates in the agenda pack. In addition, the Chairman made the following announcement:

 

·       Ukraine

The Chairman stated that everyone’s thoughts were with those in the Ukraine following the country’s invasion by Russia. The Chairman passed thanks to all those locally who were doing what they could to provide support.

 

Cllr Wallis gave an update on behalf of the Rotary club who had held a collection for the Ukraine and had raised approximately £3,800 and were hoping to raise more.

 

 

 

 

 

6.40pm

61.

Partner Updates

To receive updates from the following partners:

 

·       Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service

·       Wiltshire Police

·       Healthwatch Wiltshire

·       Clinical Commissioning Group

·       Schools updates

·       Town and Parish Councils

·       Devizes Indies

·       Sustainable Devizes

·       Devizes Opendoors

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

In addition to the written partner updates in the agenda pack the following verbal updates were given:

 

·       Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS)

David Geddes of the DWFRS gave an update to the meeting stating that the continuing with Community Safety plans which included prevention activities and proactive safe and well visits. The service was being inspected by the HM Inspectorate of Fire and Police, in the last inspection they received a rating of ‘very good’ and hoped to get the same or improve. Regarding recruitment, there as a really good core on call team at Devizes, however some staff were looking to retrain or move on so the service was looking to recruit more staff. The representative requested that people should let them know of any local events that the community wanted them to attend. A reminder was given on the importance of having smoke alarms installed and to ensure that they were working. In a recent fire a lives were saved by their smoke alarm going off.  Devizes fire station had recieved 73 call outs in the last period.

 

·       Wiltshire Police

Inspector Allen Lumley gave an update to the meeting and highlighted points from his report in the agenda. There were no performance concerns, and there had been a 1.25% reduction in vehicle crime and a reduction in burglaries. Hate crime figures were now being reported and numbers were fairly low. There had been an uplift in shoplifting, mainly due to a prolific offender. The police we relooking at Anti-Social Behaviour in the area, which was a complicated issue which to tackle involved a multi-agency approach. The recent storms had taken a toll on residents with some 620 incidents logged in Wiltshire.

 

·       Sustainable Devizes

Graham Martin representing the sustainability working group highlighted a recent survey which had identified the top 3 community priorities as reducing waste, biodiversity and reducing traffic and improving active traffic infrastructure. The Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) was going through the government process to identify cycling and walking routes, the group wanted it to include the Devizes Gateway and the villages and were keen to consult with the public regarding this. A biodiversity group had been set up which incorporated several other groups, the aim was to develop a biodiversity policy and to optimise and harmonise efforts. A Plastic Free Devizes group was also being started which was looking to work with Devizes Indies to reduce plastic use. On Saturday 11 June a Sustainability Day was being held to help consult on the LCWIP and showcase sustainability efforts within the town.

 

·       Devizes Opendoors

Noel Woolrych of Devizes Opendoors gave an update on their work. They did not close during the pandemic but provided food that people could takeaway. They had moved to the Southbroom Centre at the end of Victoria Road and were now open 4 days a week (closed on Tuesdays) offering cooked meals which were produced from surplus food provided by local supermarkets. There was a new administrator  ...  view the full minutes text for item 61.

7.15pm

62.

Open Floor

Residents are invited to ask questions of their local councillors.

Minutes:

Residents were given the opportunity to ask questions of the Area Board.

 

Noel Woolrych as the Devizes CCTV manager, asked about a meeting which had been held with the Police and Crime Commissioner regarding some pilot funding to youth services and whether there were any more details available.

 

Cllr Dominic Muns explained that a meeting had taken place, but the project was still in the early stages, it was hoped that a holistic approach could be taken to youth services, which would work for all of Wiltshire and could be piloted in Devizes. They were looking at involving the police, community groups and Wiltshire Council and were also looking at sources of funding. Wiltshire Council was involved but was just one stakeholder in the project. More meetings were planned regarding the project.

 

In response to various questions and comments regarding road maintenance, pot holes, drains, road markings and road cleanliness, Members explained that the best course of action was to report online or via the MyWilts app and to record the case number. If no action was taken you could then report that case number to your local Councillor to follow up on. Funding had been increased for highways maintenance and white line painting in recent years. It was also stated that in order to be more efficient the Council would often bundle white line work in one area together, it also had to take place when it was not cold and wet.

 

In response to comments that sometimes a case would be marked as complete when no action was taken, the advice was also to forward this on to your local Councillor so that they could get a full explanation.

 

Members also highlighted that all major planned highways maintenance was published online at  https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/highways-asset-management and that an interactive map of planned works was available at  https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/highways-road-closures. 

7.20pm

63.

Family and Community Learning

To receive a presentation from the Family and Community Learning Team on the range of community-based and online learning opportunities designed to help +19 adults to gain a new skill, reconnect with learning, prepare to progress to formal courses or learn how to support their children better.

 

Minutes:

At the Chairman’s invitation, Leanne Harris of the Wiltshire Council Family and Community Learning Team gave a presentation to the meeting.

 

The team of twelve was based within the Council: Employment and Skills, part of the Education and Skills team. They receive funding from the Education and Skills Funding Agency and were subject to OFSTED inspections. ?Family and Community Learning offered learning opportunities designed to help people of different ages and backgrounds to:?

 

·       Gain a new skill?

·       Reconnect with learning?

·       Prepare to progress to formal courses?

·       Learn how to support their children better?

·       Gain skills to access volunteering and employment?

 

The team offered opportunities to widen community participation by supporting progression relevant to personal circumstances, including: ?

 

·       improving digital skills, improving confidence and a willingness to engage in learning ?

·       building on skills: preparing people for training, employment or self-employment ?

·       financial literacy and/or communication skills ?

·       offering support to parents/carers so they are better equipped to support and encourage their children’s learning ?

·       improved/maintained health and/or social well-being.?

 

The team worked with partners to identify potential learners skills and knowledge requirements and created courses to meet the needs of learners (and their families)?. They ensured a learner centred learning experience?, offering a safe and robust Learning Journey with progression routes?. The course content was aligned to address economic skills gaps?. The team offered a virtual learning environment to deliver courses online and provided opportunities for face to face learning in collaboration with partners.?

 

The courses are funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency?. The criteria to access provision was that potential learners:?

 

·       Must be +19 by 31.8 2021 and resident of UK/EU for 3+ years?

·       Have less than 5 GCSEs grades A-C?

·       Have a child with SEN/EHCP?

·       Are in receipt of benefits/unemployed?

·       And/or belong to a military family?

·       Are an asylum seeker?

 

The team were happy to share a conversation with people who might be struggling with specific issues i.e.:  poor mental health issues/family breakdown that provides a rationale for them to join?.

 

Further information could be found at: https://workwiltshire.co.uk/family-learning/.

7.30pm

64.

Devizes Area Board Priorities and Projects

To receive an update from Andrew Jack, Community Engagement Manager and Cllr Kelvin Nash, Chairman on the Devizes Area Board priorities and projects/actions arising from those.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Andrew Jack, Community Engagement Manager (CEM), gave an update on the Devizes Area Board priorities. It was explained that these came out of the Community Status Report which came to the Board in 2021. The report looked at where the Devizes Area was below Wiltshire averages, work that was currently underway and where the Area Board could help influence progress. From this the Board identified 5 priority areas and each of these was divided into themes and sub-themes. The 5 themes were:

 

·       Climate Change / Environment

·       Children and Young People

·       Older People

·       Local Economy

·       Community Safety

 

The CEM talked through these priorities, the sub-themes and actions being taken. These priorities, themes and actions were also published on page 43 of the agenda.

 

The Charman stated that the work of the Area Board was not just the quarterly meeting but that there was a lot of work going on behind the scenes. A possibility was that the Board would theme the meetings in line with priorities so that they could focus on them one at a time. The meetings could be located in places appropriate to the themes.

 

The CEM highlighted that this was the end of the first 12 months of the new Area Board model where there were 4 business meetings a year with various engagement events in between. He was interested to hear how people felt and what they wanted the Board to do and encouraged them to make contact: Andrew.jack@wiltshire.gov.uk.

 

Cllr Wallis also stated that he as on a task group looking at how the Area Boards worked and was interested in feedback.  

7.40pm

65.

Community Area Transport Group (CATG)

To consider the update and any recommendations arising from the Community Area Transport Group (CATG).

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Dominic Muns gave an update on the CATG, where local highways problems were brought to the group, allocated funding and the problems were rectified. The full notes of the last meeting were included in the agenda pack.

 

All 7 high priority schemes (as follows) were progressing well with the Highways Engineer:

 

·       Speed limit review, A342 Lydeway: Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is going out for consultation shortly?

·       New footway linking Tanis, Conscience Lane, Rowde: Bid for Substantive Funding was unsuccessful. New bid in summer ‘22 to be submitted?

·       Speed limit review, A342, Bromham: data collection complete; results will be available later (Feb ‘22)?

·       New 20mph limits, various roads, Devizes: data collection complete; report due March ‘22?

·       New warning signage for pedestrians in road, Bromham village: to be completed before the end of financial year?

·       Seend High St; visibility of pedestrians: high-friction surface to be install once weather allows?

·       Horton Road; speed limit review: consultants now commissioned to carry out review?

 

Further progress had bene made on the following;

 

·       SID sockets, Worton: locations agreed with PC, to be installed: moved up to High Priority?

·       Request for 30mph repeater signs, New Road, Bromham: moved up to High Priority?

·       Request for bus stop clearway, Eastleigh, Devizes: moved up to High Priority?

·       Request for new footway, Townsend, Poulshot: Construction length is approx. 75m; awaiting High Priority slot ?

·       Parking issues at Duck St, West Lavington: To investigate solutions to parking problems and obstruction near care home; awaiting High Priority slot.?

 

A new project had been submitted:

 

·       Request for street lighting, Roundway Park, Devizes: awaiting High Priority slot?.

 

It was,

 

Resolved:

 

That Devizes Area Board:

 

·       Note the discussions from the CATG meeting of 1st February

·       Confirm the seven high priority schemes agreed by CATG

7.50pm

66.

Air Quality and Sustainable Transport

To receive any updates and consider any recommendations from the Devizes Air Quality and Sustainable Transport Group.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Tamara Ready gave an update on Air Quality and Sustainable Transport after their meeting on 17 February, the full notes of which were in the agenda pack.

 

Air Quality within Devizes:?

 

Levels in Devizes from December ‘22 appeared to show an improvement on pre-Covid levels?. Discussions had centred on new UK Environment Act and the changes this would bring in:?

 

·       The aim to fill gaps in legislation following Brexit?

·       Legally binding environmental targets, including for air quality for October ’22?

·       A greater emphasis on PM2.5 as a pollutant?

 

Rail:?

 

The Strategic Outline Case (SOC) for Devizes Gateway was now with government and being assessed?.

 

Buses:?

 

The lack of bus services to Lay Wood was discussed; an extra 6 minutes could not be fitted into existing timetable. It would need a complete re-write to manage. A separate meeting was to be called regarding this matter.?

 

Bishops Cannings Parish Council outlined a project and quote to install a new bus shelter for Horton Rd at £5,5000?.

 

Cycling and Walking:?

 

Strong collaboration with Cycle Friendly Devizes & Sustainable Devizes was underway to develop a brief in order to create a new Local Cycling & Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP). ?

 

Wiltshire Council’s contractor, Atkins, was to be commissioned at a quoted price of £26,500?.

 

Cycle Friendly Devizes had looked at specification and was happy with timescales, but felt the scope was not ambitious and the level of consultation to be used was inadequate. They felt an online survey had to be supported by face to face consultation as well?. They were keen that the plan includes leisure cycling as a way to support villages’ economies?. Work would continue to develop the specification based on these comments?.

 

Wider promotion of LCWIP would not begin until the specification was finalised and work commissioned?.

 

Car Clubs?

There was a discussion around bringing Co Cars to Devizes to run a club and initial talks were set to begin.?

 

It was,

 

Resolved:

 

·       That Devizes Area Board note the discussions from the AQ&ST meeting of 17 February?

 

·       That Devizes Area Board confirm the allocation of £5,500 to Bishops Cannings PC to install to bus shelter at Horton Road ?

 

 

8.00pm

67.

Youth Updates

To receive any update on youth work in the area and consider the following applications for youth grant funding:

 

·       Devizes Canoe Club, £829.20 towards a Devizes Canoe Club Defibrillator.

·       The Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race, £1,808.53 towards the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race.

·       1st Lavington Sea Scouts, £1,878.50 towards their Sea Scout Sail Off.

·       1st Urchfont Scout Group, £2,540.00 towards revenue funding for 1st Urchfont Scout Group.

·       St James Church, £5,000.00 towards Secondary Schools based Youth

Chaplaincy and Mentoring.

·       Great Cheverell Youth Club, £1,674.58 towards Great Cheverell Youth Club.

·       Worton and Cheverell Youth Football Club, £5,000.00 towards Worton and Cheverell Youth FC Clubhouse New Roof.

 

Further details in the grant report under item 14.

Minutes:

Cllr Dominic Muns gave an update, stating that he hoped when that at the next meeting he would be able to outline a full project for youth work in the Devizes area. He wanted to take a holistic approach and to involve all stakeholders, including Wiltshire Council, the police, schools and youth charities.

 

Cllr Muns introduced the youth grant applications and representatives of the organisations applying for grants spoke in support of their applications. After consideration by the Board it was,

 

Resolved:

 

·       To grant Devizes Canoe Club, £829.20 towards a Devizes Canoe Club Defibrillator.

·       To grant The Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race, £1,808.53 towards the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race.

·       To grant 1st Lavington Sea Scouts, £1,878.50 towards their Sea Scout Sail Off.

·       To grant 1st Urchfont Scout Group, £2,540.00 towards revenue funding for 1st Urchfont Scout Group.

·       To grant St James Church, £5,000.00 towards Secondary Schools based Youth Chaplaincy and Mentoring.

·       To grant Great Cheverell Youth Club, £1,674.58 towards Great Cheverell Youth Club.

·       To grant Worton and Cheverell Youth Football Club, £5,250.00 towards Worton and Cheverell Youth FC Clubhouse New Roof.

 

8.10pm

68.

Health and Wellbeing Group

To receive an update on the Devizes Health and Wellbeing Group.

 

There were no applications for Health and Wellbeing funding.

 

Minutes:

Cliff Evans, Chairman of the Health and Wellbeing Group gave a brief update, stating that the Trolley Olympics would be taking place on 4 June in Hillworth Park. Anyone who wanted to take part was encouraged to contact Cliff.

 

There were no applications for Health and Wellbeing funding.

8.20pm

69.

Area Board Funding

To consider the following applications to the Community Area Grants Scheme:

 

·       Worton Parish Council, £3,379.40 towards improvements to WORT11 and MARS9 bridleway.

·       Market Lavington Parish Council, £5,000.00 towards Broadwell Play Area refurbishment.

·       Quakers Walk Community Biodiversity Group, £915.00 towards Quakers Walk Community Biodiversity Planting 2022.

·       Wharf Theatre, £2,900.00 towards a Wharf Theatre Intercom System.

·       Marston Parish Council, £1,167.00 towards Improvements to WORT11 and MARS9 bridleway.

·       Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts (DOCA), £989.99 towards Community Radios.

·       Erlestoke Parish Council, £2,145.00 towards Erlestoke Village Play Park Equipment Item.

·       Erlestoke Parish Council, £364.95, towards Erlestoke Play Park Recycling and Rubbish Bin.

·       Potterne Parish Council, £5,000.00 towards Blounts Court Play Area Upgrade.

·       Urchfont Preschool CIO, £5,000.00 towards Urchfont Preschool Outdoor covered area.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman introduced the Community Area Grants for consideration, apart from the DOCA grant which was introduced by the Vice-Chairman, due to the Chairman’s declaration of interest in that grant. Representatives of the organisations applying for grants spoke in support of their applications. It was,

 

Resolved:

 

·       To grant Worton Parish Council, £3,379.40 towards improvements to WORT11 and MARS9 bridleway.

·       To grant Market Lavington Parish Council, £5,000.00 towards Broadwell Play Area refurbishment.

·       To grant Quakers Walk Community Biodiversity Group, £915.00 towards Quakers Walk Community Biodiversity Planting 2022.

·       To grant Wharf Theatre, £2,900.00 towards a Wharf Theatre Intercom System.

·       To grant Marston Parish Council, £1,167.00 towards Improvements to WORT11 and MARS9 bridleway.

·       To grant Devizes Outdoor Celebratory Arts (DOCA), £989.99 towards Community Radios.

·       To grant Erlestoke Parish Council, £2,145.00 towards Erlestoke Village Play Park Equipment Item.

·       To grant Erlestoke Parish Council, £364.95, towards Erlestoke Play Park Recycling and Rubbish Bin.

·       To grant Potterne Parish Council, £5,000.00 towards Blounts Court Play Area Upgrade.

·       To grant Urchfont Preschool CIO, £5,000.00 towards Urchfont Preschool Outdoor covered area.

70.

Urgent items

Any other items of business which the Chairman agrees to consider as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

8.35pm

71.

Close

The next ordinary meeting of the Area Board will be held on 20 June 2022.

 

Minutes:

The Chairman thanked everyone for attending and announced that the next meeting of the Area Board would be held on 20 June 2022.

 

 

Actions

Search

This website