If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Assembly Hall, Market Place, Melksham SN12 6ES

Contact: Kevin Fielding  (Democratic Services Officer)

Items
No. Item

1.

Appointments

Election of the Chairman

i.To elect a Chairman for the forthcoming year.

 

ii.Election of the Vice Chairman

To elect a Vice Chairman for the forthcoming year.

 

iii.Appointments to Outside Bodies and Working Groups.

To note that appointments to outside bodies and working groups

for the forthcoming year:

 

·       Community Area Transport Group (CAT-G)

 

·       Shadow Community Operations Board (SCOB)

 

·       Melksham Community Area Partnership

 

·       Local Youth Issues Network (LYN)

 

·       Neighbourhood Plan

 

 

Minutes:

 

Cllr Jonathon Seed was elected Chairman for the forthcoming year.

 

Cllr Pat Aves was elected Vice Chairman for the forthcoming year.

 

 

The following appointments to outside bodies and working groups for the forthcoming year were made:

 

·       Community Area Transport Group (CAT-G) – Cllr Jonathon Seed.

 

·       Shadow Community Operations Board (SCOB) – Cllr Roy While & Cllr Jon Hubbard, (It was agreed that Cllr While would hand over the chairmanship of this group during the forthcoming year to Cllr Hubbard).

 

·       Melksham Community Area Partnership – Cllr Terry Chivers.

 

·       Local Youth Issues Network (LYN) – Cllr Jon Hubbard.

 

·       Neighbourhood Plan – Cllr David Pollitt.

 

 

2.

Chairman's Welcome, Introduction and Announcements

Chairman’s Announcements:

 

·       Joint Health & Wellbeing Strategy Consultation and Update.

 

·       Changes to Street Lighting.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting of the Area Board and thanked Cllr Jon Hubbard for his chairmanship of the Area Board during the last two years.

 

The following Chairman’s Announcements were noted:

 

·       Joint Health & Wellbeing Strategy Consultation and update.

 

·       Changes to Street Lighting.

 

 

 

3.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from: Cllr Roy While, Ceri Evans – Community Youth Officer and Cllr Richard Wood – Melksham Without Parish Council.

4.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were none.

5.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 15 April 2015.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Decision

 

·       The minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 15 April 2015 were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.

 

6.

Services to the Elderly

Presentation by Nicola Gregson - Head of Commissioning for Older People

Care, Support and Accommodation, Wiltshire Council.

 

To discuss the services needed by the elderly in each Community Area and to consider nominating an Elderly Persons Champion & a Carers Champion.

 

Minutes:

Nicola Gregson – Head of Commissioning for Older People, Wiltshire Council gave a presentation which outlined the services needed by the elderly in each Community Area and to consider nominating an Older Persons Champion and a Carers Champion.

 

Points made included:

 

·       Significant changes in the way people were supported to be independent

 

        Care Act implemented April 2015

 

        CCG currently tendering Community Health Services

 

·       That Wiltshire Council wanted to talk with area boards and people in the community about how best to support people.

 

 

Market Position Statements

 

·       The purpose of this statement was to inform each Community Area Board of current service provision and uptake of community services, support and accommodation; and to inform the council’s commissioning intentions to develop and support services that reflect the aspirations and wishes of older people living in Wiltshire.

 

 

Older Peoples and Carers Champions

 

·       A way to engage with communities.

 

·       Voluntary roles but with admin support.

 

·       Act as link between the Council and communities on older peoples and carers issues.

 

·       Regular meetings with champions to exchange information, influence service developments, feedback issues.

 

·       Further discussions to finalise the details with communities.

 

It was agreed that the Champions would be confirmed at the Melksham Area Board’s September meeting and that the Melksham Area Board would hold an older persons workshop on Thursday 9 July at Melksham Town Hall.

 

The Chairman thanked Nicola Gregson for her presentation.

 

 

7.

Wiltshire Online

To update on Broadband rollout throughout the Melksham community area.

Minutes:

Sarah Cosentino and Marie Nash – Wiltshire Council gave an update on the Broadband rollout throughout the Melksham community area.

 

Points made included:

 

·       £30.9m Partnership between Wiltshire Council, BDUK and BT to deploy a Next Generation Access infrastructure and transform broadband services.

 

·       Deploying fibre broadband to the intervention area within the county.

 

·       Delivering Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and latest technology developments.

 

·       Deployment in phases based on exchanges throughout the county with fibre delivery complete by Spring 2016.

 

Questions and points raised included:

 

·       There appears to be gaps in the coverage?

a.The projects expects to have 91% coverage of Wiltshire at its completion, it is a difficult and complex program.

 

·       That Fibre Optic broad band coverage should be declared as a utility service.

a.This was a policy question for Central Government.

 

·       How much funding had Wiltshire Council invested in the scheme?

a.Around 15m.

 

The Chairman thanked Sarah Cosentino and Marie Nash for their update.

 

8.

"Big Pledge - make a difference" Campaign 2015

Presentation from Rhys Schell – Community Area Manager.

 

Wiltshire’s Big Pledge challenges people to get healthy, volunteer, or make a positive change in 2015.

 

Minutes:

Rhys Schell - Community Area Manager, Wiltshire Council introduced a short DVD film outlining Wiltshire Council’s Big Pledge Campaign 2015, which challenges people to get healthy, volunteer or make a positive change in 2015.

 

Cllr Jon Hubbard gave a short update on the setting up of “No Cold Calling Zones” in several neighbourhoods in Melksham, which had been the Area Board’s Big Pledge for 2014. It was now hoped that local village communities could get involved in the scheme.

 

Wiltshire Council’s Trading Standards team would be in attendance at the older persons workshop on the 9 July to give advice on the scheme.

 

The Chairman thanked Rhys Schell and Cllr Hubbard for their updates.

 

9.

Local Youth Network (LYN) - update

Cllr Jon Hubbard.

 

Minutes:

Cllr Jon Hubbard gave the LYN update.

 

Points made included:

 

·       Spice Time Credits - Young people could now volunteer for community projects such as the recent litter pick and receive credits towards organised excursions.

 

  • Mini bus update – work on the mini bus continues with the old signage being removed and the body work tidied up where required.

 

  • Bowerhill youth club – Plans coming together for an organised youth club situated at Bowerhill.

 

The Area Board was asked to ratify the following Melksham LYN Recommendations:

 

Decision

 

        To delegate authority to the LYN Chair working with the CYO and/ or CAM to write and publish press article in relation to LYN activities.

 

        To approve the LYN membership:

 

Co-Chair – Cllr Jon Hubbard

Co-Chair – Maisie Marchant

Young person – Cavan Wright

Young person – James Wilkins

Young person – Jack Oatley

School – Rob Spooner

NPT – Kane Fullbrook-Smith

Community – Chris Pugh

CAM – Rhys Schell

CYO – Ceri Evans

 

 

Magna Carta Event update – Rhys Schell

 

Points made included:

 

·       £500 was authorised by the Area Board Chair to enable young people to take part in the 800th anniversary celebrations of the Magna Carta in Salisbury.

 

·       That a full report would be given at the September Area Board meeting.

 

The Chairman thanked Cllr Hubbard and Rhys Schell for their updates.

 

 

 

10.

Melksham Community Campus - update

Cllr Roy While.

Minutes:

Cllr Jon Hubbard outlined the written update provided by COB Chair Cllr Roy While which had been circulated at the meeting.

 

Points made included:

 

·       At the April Area Board meeting the Associate Director for Communities and Communications gave an update on the Rugby and Football development at Woolmore Farm and the Campus. Cllr John Thompson, WC Cabinet member gave a further update on the Woolmore Farm development and outlined the way ahead on the programme for the Campus – the budget position, the need for savings and timelines at a meeting with the COB (Community Operations Board ) last week.

 

 

Woolmore Farm Rugby and Football facilities

 

·       The decision making process allowing the award of the Woolmore Farm contract had now been completed. Building work was now set to start on the development, Beard are building the new clubhouse with Kestral carrying out the ground modelling.

 

·       Work on the Woolmore Farm site should be completed by July 2016. The football and rugby clubs would then move from the Melksham House site. The relocation of the clubs would allow the construction of the campus to begin in the summer of 2016.

 

 

Market Place

 

·       The council’s highways team were continuing to look at options to improve the market place and the access to the campus. At the next COB meeting the Market Place steering group would also attend so that this matter could be fully discussed, with proposals being taken to the Area Board for decision.

 

·       This scheme once selected and approved would be delivered in 2016 and would not cause any delays to the delivery of the campus.

 

 

Melksham Community Campus

 

·       The budget allocation requires savings of approximately £5 million to be made. Consequently the scheme needed to be reviewed so that the campus could be delivered within this budget envelope. The COB discussed their priorities for the site and their views on how the budget was best spent.

 

·       The original scheme had a strong aesthetic element. The consensus of the COB was that priority now needed to be given to functionality rather than aesthetics. It was agreed that design features should be revaluated to ensure that as many of the original facilities were retained as possible. The COB had agreed that the campus delivery team should now work with the architects to come up with a revised scheme and they would bring proposals back to the COB in July. The COB and Area Board members would then appraise these revised designs so that the programme could be progressed.

 

·       Once the new scheme was given approval by the Area Board the project team would take the scheme to planning and begin the tender process concurrently. Construction work would start next summer.

 

·       Naturally the COB team are disappointed that the campus was being delayed particularly after commitment and hard work over the past 4 years. Team members had spent countless hours in consultation and discussion with the users, community and the Architect but were determined to work with officers and Area Board  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Community Area Transport Group (CAT-G) - update

Cllr Jonathon Seed.

 

The Area Board are asked to consider the following recommendations:

 

·       To confirm the previously approved £1,333 from the Area Board and the proposed £1,333 from the CATG for the 20mph speed restriction in the Kenilworth Gardens and surrounding area.

 

·       To approve £125 for an initial asbestos check on a replacement bus shelter located by the Methodist Church in the High Street, Melksham.

 

·       That the Area Board resolves that all Community Transport issues must be first discussed with the Divisional Member and, where funding is required, subsequently recommended for progression to the CATG by the relevant Town or Parish Council.  

 

Minutes:

Cllr Jonathon Seed gave a brief update.

 

Points made included:

 

·       School Governor Paul Carter raised the issue of the lack of a safe pedestrian route to the new Forest and Sandridge School. Chairman of CATG suggested a site meeting between all parties which took place on 28th May. Cllr Seed was confident that that a new path would be in place in time for use when the school resumed after the Summer break.

 

·       All 20mph speed limit assessments now had a £2500 charge associated.

 

·       The CATG had agreed its 2015/ 2016 priority list.

 

 

The following Melksham CATG recommendations were ratified by the Area Board:

 

Decision

 

        To confirm the previously approved £1,333 from the Area Board and the proposed £1,333 from the CATG for the 20mph speed restriction in the Kenilworth Gardens and surrounding area.

 

        To approve £125 for an initial asbestos check on a replacement bus shelter located by the Methodist Church in the High Street, Melksham.

 

        That the Area Board resolves that all Community Transport issues must be first discussed with the Divisional Member and, where funding is required, subsequently recommended for progression to the CATG by the relevant Town or Parish Council.  

 

 

12.

Champion Update

 

·       Children and Young Peoples Network - Cllr Jon Hubbard

 

·       Economy – Cllr Roy While

 

·       Health – Cllr Pat Aves

 

·       Transport – Cllr Terry Chivers

 

·       Read Easy – Cllr David Pollitt

 

Minutes:

Children and Young Peoples Network - Cllr Jon Hubbard

 

·       Update provided during Local Youth Network item.

 

 

Economy – Cllr Roy While

 

·       Bowerhill and Hampton Park Business Initiative - The group was working on a bulletin which would be delivered to all the business premises on Bowerhill Industrial Estate and Hampton Park in July.

This would focus on broadband, solar panels and WC economic development support contacts.

 

 

 Health and Wellbeing Network - Cllr Pat Aves

 

·       Next meeting to be held on Tuesday 8th September 2015.

 

 

Transport - Cllr Terry Chivers

 

·       That the 234 service was to withdrawn by First Bus, the evening service would still continue.

 

·       Was working with Wiltshire Council to provide a limited service to  Woodruff Road.

 

·       A position statement was expected from Wiltshire Council within the 24 hours on the future of the Hopper Bus service.

 

Melsham Station Bus Link

 

Graham Ellis – Trans Wilts CIC raised concerns re Wiltshire Council’s decision withdraw the operation of the Melksham Rail Link bus from 20th July 2015, and requested that the Area Board supported Trans Wilts CIC in its bid to keep this service running and funded by Wiltshire Council.

 

Cllr Jon Hubbard advised that that Wiltshire Council was no longer receiving LSTF funding for the service and did not have the funds to continue supporting it. Wiltshire Council had funded this service, and had funded it for as long as it could.

 

Discussions were ongoing with First Bus to see if they could tweak their early service covering the route by 10 minutes to cover the route.

 

Decision

 

·       It was agreed that the Melksham Area Board would work with Trans Wilts CIC and Wiltshire Council to try and find a solution to this issue.

 

Read Easy Project - Cllr David Pollitt

 

        ReadEasy now had all the management committee and co-ordinator in place, and was now waiting for the training to be completed.

 

        Once all the personnel had completed their training the project could then start the one to one coaching sessions.

 

The Chairman thanked all members for their updates.

13.

Partner Updates

To receive any updates from the following partners:

 

a. Community Area Partnership

b. Wiltshire Police

c. Wiltshire Police and Crime Commissioner

d. Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service

e. NHS Wiltshire/Clinical Commissioning Group

f. Melksham Town Council

g. Parish Council Nominated Representatives

h. Melksham Chambers of Commerce

i. Melksham Senior People’s Forum

j.Trans Wilts Cic

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Wiltshire Police (Inspector Matt Armstrong) - the written report contained in the agenda pack was noted.

 

 

Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service (Mike Franklin) - the written report contained in the agenda pack was noted.

 

 

Melksham Town Council – the written report contained in the agenda pack was noted.

 

 

Trans Wilts CIC (Graham Ellis)

 

·       Good train services all through the summer, so please use Melksham Station.

 

The Chairman thanked everybody for their updates.

14.

Grant Funding

To consider applications to the Community Area Grants scheme.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Wiltshire Councillors considered the following Grant Applications:

 

Decision

AFC Melksham Disabled Football Club awarded £900.00 for portable football goals and equipment.

Reason

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Broughton Gifford and Holt Scouts awarded for £3,054.00 for Broughton Gifford Holt Scouts Training and Spend 2015.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Shaw and Whitley Pre-School awarded £500.00 for new outdoor play facilities.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Melksham Without Parish Council awarded £3,212.50 for Defibrilators for seven separate communities in the Melksham Without parish.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Keevil Parish Council awarded £375.00 for a safety handrail for footway ramp.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Read Easy Melksham awarded £500.00 for a printer.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Shaw and Whitley Community Café awarded £500.00 to set up a community café.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Riverside Club awarded £3,988.00 for a new kitchen.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Riverside Club awarded £5,000.00 for re-roofing of the entire Riverside Club.

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

15.

Any Other Items of Public Concern

Minutes:

There was none.

16.

Next Meeting

·       Wednesday 9th September 2015 – Seend Community Centre.

Minutes:

·       Thursday 9 July 2015 – Older Persons Workshop, Melksham Town Hall.

 

·       Wednesday 9September 2015 – Seend Community Centre.

 

17.

Close

 

Actions

Search

This website