If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Melksham United Church, Market Place, Melksham.

Contact: Kevin Fielding  (Democratic Services Officer)

Items
No. Item

1.

Chairman's Welcome, Introduction and Announcements

 

Councillors and members of the public should be aware that due to the importance of this main agenda item, that timings may slip to enable everyone to have their say.

 

To facilitate the smooth running of the meeting, members of the public who wish to speak at this meeting, will only be called once on each agenda item. 

 

Announcements:

 

·       Public Transport Review

 

·       Your Care your Support

 

·       2016/17 Area Board Budget

 

 

 

 

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting of the Area Board and commented on how pleasing it was to have such a good turnout from the Melksham community.

 

The Chairman advised that in order to facilitate the smooth running of the meeting, members of the public who wished to speak at this meeting would only be called once on each agenda item.

 

The following Chairman’s Announcements were noted:

 

·       Public Transport Review – still time to have your say on this important topic.

 

·       Your Care your Support

 

·       2016/17 Area Board Budget – the budget had now been agreed, with a small reduction to the grants budget.

 

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

There was none.

3.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 18 November 2015.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Decision

 

·       The minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 18 November 2015 were agreed as the correct record.

 

4.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

 

Minutes:

There was none.

5.

Local Youth Network (LYN) - update and grant funding

Members of the LYN to give the update.

 

Minutes:

Ceri Evans – Community Youth Office and representatives of the Youth Management Group (Maisey and James) gave a brief update.

 

Points made included:

 

·       A very busy first year of operation for the LYN, with all funding allocated to local youth groups and projects.

 

The Chairman thanked Ceri Evans, Maisey and James for their update and thanked all the young people for attending the meeting.

 

6.

Housing - Meeting Local Need & Adult Care

 

A presentation from Emma Legg – Head of Service Adult Care Operations, Wiltshire Council which will provide a housing update and an offer to work with the Area Board and the local community, including the parish councils, on the delivery of new housing to meet local needs.

 

A presentation to outline plans for devolution of funding to Area Boards to target social isolation, loneliness and well-being.   

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

James Cawley - Assoc Director - Adult Care Commission & Housing, Wiltshire Council gave a presentation that outlined the demand for affordable housing in community areas and the offer to work with Area Boards and local communities, including parish councils on the delivery of new housing to meet local need.

 

Points made included:

 

National Policy Context

 

·       Increase owner-occupation including low cost options.

 

·       Make best use of existing social housing stock.

 

·       Reduce burden on public sector (housing benefit bill).

 

·       Increase supply of new homes.

 

·       Promote independent living in the community.

 

 

Wiltshire priorities

 

·       Ensuring that there are a range of housing options available to meet needs.

 

·       Promoting home ownership housing.

 

·       Enabling provision of homes for the most vulnerable.

 

·       To help people to achieve independence and choice enabling them to live at home for longer.

 

·       To improve the quality and make best use of existing stock.

 

 

Next steps

 

·       Commissioning research at community area level.

 

·       Developing housing strategy & agreeing priorities.

 

·       Work with local communities & partners to understand local need and deliver new homes.

 

·       Consider options to increase choices for those not able to meet needs in open market.

 

·       Respond to national policy changes.

 

The Chairman thanked James Cawley for his presentation.

7.

Police and Crime Commissioner - Precept 2016-17

The Commissioner to give an update on the 2016-17 precept. 

 

Minutes:

The Commissioner outlined the recent precept consultation and outlined the reasons why he had made the decision to raise it.

 

Points made included:

 

Crime and Public Confidence

 

·       Crime increased by 12% from December 2014 to November 2015.

 

·       7th lowest crime rate nationally with 50.7 crimes per 1,000 population.

 

·       Public confidence measured by the OPCC Survey in 2015 is 83.7%, and had been consistently high since 2012.

 

·       Victim satisfaction to October 2015 is 84.3% which is around the national average.

 

 

A good HMIC Assessment of Wiltshire Police

 

·       Performance is regularly assessed by Her Majesty’s Inspector of Constabulary.  Overall Wiltshire Police are rated as “good”.

 

·       Our constabulary remains one of the best in the country.

 

 

Central Funding Announcement

 

·       This years provisional settlement shows central funding reduce from £63.7m to £63.4m, a £0.3m reduction.

 

·       This will be the fifth straight year of central funding reductions.

 

·       Whilst this reduction is lower than previous years the loss of £0.3m with cost pressures (national wage agreement £0.8m, national pensions change impact on national insurance £2.0m) will result in significant savings still being required.

 

 

What is the budget?

 

·       A £3.12 increase in Council Tax will give a budget of £105.695m compared to £103.956m for the current year. This would lead to a funding gap of £2.6m for policing in Wiltshire.

·       The Commissioner was committed to investing additional income from council tax in local policing.

 

 

How about the long term?

 

·       The Chancellor’s Autumn Statement promised a cash neutral position for policing however no detail per force is available.  With no council tax increases the funding gap against the national average would grow.  With small council tax increases the resources available for local policing are better protected.

 

·       The Area Board was assured by the Commissioner that local money would be spent on local policing.

 

Question raised from the floor included:

 

The importance of backing the Speedwatch community groups.

a.The Commissioner advised that he was always looking for more volunteers to join their local community groups and be part of this worthwhile project.

 

Why do you have to increase your precept when you received no cuts in Central Government funding at the last budget?

a.There was still a slight reduction in funding as well as the force having to budget for extra National Insurance contributions and investing heavily in new technology.

 

Area there any plans for Wiltshire Police to merge with a neighbouring force?

a.That there were no plans for any merger, Wiltshire Police would however continue to work with other neighbouring forces in a strategic manner.

 

The Chairman thanked the Commissioner for his presentation.

 

8.

Melksham Community Health and Wellbeing Centre

Presentation from Laurie Bell - Associate Director, Communities and Communications and Councillor John Thomson, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Communities, Campuses, Area Boards and Broadband, Wiltshire Council.

 

To receive a recommendation from the Melksham Campus Project Board and to approve outline content of the Health and Wellbeing Centre.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Laurie Bell - Associate Director and Councillor John Thomson, Cabinet Member for Communities, Campuses, Area Boards and Broadband, Wiltshire Council gave a presentation that highlighted the outline content of the Health and Wellbeing Centre.

 

Points made included:

 

The new revised scheme

 

        25m pool - 6 Lanes.

 

        This pool would host regional competitions.

 

        13 x 7m learner pool.

 

        This would have depth of 0.6-0.9m for swimming classes/lessons  - high demand classes oversubscribed.

 

        Learner pools maximise number of lessons that could be provided.

 

        The income generated by lessons would help to ensure the centre was sustainable.

 

        A Fitness Studio which would accommodate a range of fitness classes and popular spinning classes.

 

        6 court sports hall.

 

        The sports hall would be multi-sport providing a variety of leisure activities.

 

        Leisure Review identified a need for squash courts in the Melksham area.

 

        The construction of two new courts would allow Melksham Squash club to play in Melksham; they currently play at Devizes leisure centre.

 

        Community space for clubs, groups and organisations.

 

        The final configuration of this space was still to be confirmed.

 

        Discussions with the town council regarding the possible re-provision of the Assembly Hall.

 

        The St Damiens GP practice would relocate to the new Health and Wellbeing Centre.

 

        Opportunity to bring services together in one place in the centre of Melksham.

 

 

        Improve the services provided and the offer or referrals and prevention.

 

        The scheme would include open plan office accommodation.

 

        This accommodation would be used by Wiltshire Council and partner organisations.

 

        The space would be comprised of hot desks and shared meeting space to maximise usage.

 

 

Melksham House site - master plan

 

        Wiltshire Council had commissioned a master plan of entire site.

 

        Focus on land usage to maximise the provision of services and facilities for the local community.

 

        Phase 1 of the project was the new health and wellbeing centre and outdoor clubs.

 

        Phase 2 would focus on Melksham House and the existing Town Hall (subject to discussions with the town council)

 

 

Outdoor Sports Clubs

 

The following clubs will be allocated space and appropriate facilities on the site, based on discussion with the council:

 

·       Tennis.

 

·       Cricket.

 

·       Outdoor Bowls.

 

 

Questions and points raised from the floor included:

 

Would the Cricket Club have a new pavilion?

a.Wiltshire Council would be working with the Cricket Club and carrying out a feasibility study to what was required. The Cricket Clubs aspirations were for this to be at the Melksham House site so this was what was being looked at.

 

When was the feasibility study of Christie Miller being carried out?

a.Wiltshire Council officers have already been out to look at this. Outcomes would be expected from this in the next couple of weeks. .

 

 

Would the Melksham Cemetery be expanded?

a.Yes, and this would form part of the masterplan on the Melksham House site.

 

What was the time frame for the Skate Park?

a.Designs  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Delegated Authority for CEM & CYO

Recommendation

 

  • That in respect of urgent matters that may arise, the Community Engagement Manager, following consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Area Board, may authorise expenditure to support community projects from the delegated budget of up to £1,000 in total between meetings of an Area Board. The decision and reasons why it was considered urgent will be reported to the next meeting of the Area Board.

 

  • That in respect of urgent matters that may arise, the Community Youth Officer, following consultation with the Chairman of the Local Youth Network and Chairman of the Area Board, may authorise expenditure to support youth projects from the youth budget of up to£1,000 in total between meetings of an Area Board. The decision and reasons why it was considered urgent will be reported to the next meeting of the Area Board.

 

Minutes:

Decision

 

·       That in respect of urgent matters that may arise, the Community Engagement Manager, following consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Area Board, may authorise expenditure to support community projects from the delegated budget of up to £1,000 in total between meetings of an Area Board. The decision and reasons why it was considered urgent will be reported to the next meeting of the Area Board.

 

·       That in respect of urgent matters that may arise, the Community Youth Officer, following consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Area Board, may authorise expenditure to support youth projects from the youth budget of up to £1,000 in total between meetings of an Area Board. The decision and reasons why it was considered urgent will be reported to the next meeting of the Area Board.

10.

Community Area Transport Group (CAT-G) - update

Cllr Roy While.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Roy While presented the Area Board with the recommendations from the CATG meeting held on Thursday 14 January 2016.

 

Decision

 

·       That the routes A365 Seend to Bowerhill and C220 Whitley Top Lane to Purlpit are assessed for freight management measures.

 

·       That the Melksham Area Board notes the report.

 

The Chairman thanked Cllr While for his update.

11.

Legacy Campaigns Presentation 2016

Rhys Schell – Community Engagement Manager.

 

To inform Boards of the Legacy campaigns for 2016, to include:

 

  • Clean for The Queen
  • Queen’s 90th Birthday Street Parties
  • The Big Pledge Road to Rio
  • Getting Active- Walking and Cycling activities in Wiltshire
  • h Birthday Street Parties

Guides will be given for each of the above to provide further information to the community about how to get involved.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

This Item was deferred due to time constraints.

12.

Champion Updates

  • Children and Young Peoples Network - Cllr Jon Hubbard

 

  • Economy – Cllr Roy While

 

  • Health – Cllr Pat Aves

 

  • Transport – Cllr Terry Chivers

 

  • Read Easy – Cllr David Pollitt

 

·       Older Persons – Chris Pickett

Minutes:

Children and Young Peoples Network - Cllr Jon Hubbard

 

·       That the Canberra Youth Centre had now re-opened, and Youth work and activities were up and running.

 

 

Economy – Cllr Roy While

 

·       That the second edition of the Hampton Park Industrial Bulletin was now being worked on.

 

 

 Health and Wellbeing Network - Cllr Pat Aves

 

·       Nothing to update at moment.

 

 

Transport - Cllr Terry Chivers

 

·       That the Public Transport Review was still out to consultation.

 

 

Read Easy Project - Cllr David Pollitt

 

·       That the project had taken part in the Melksham Christmas Fayre, with lots of interest shown.

 

The Chairman thanked all members for their updates.

 

13.

Written Partner Updates

To receive any written updates from the following partners:

 

·       Community Area Partnership

·       Wiltshire Police

·       Wiltshire Police and Crime Commissioner

·       Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service

·       NHS Wiltshire/Clinical Commissioning Group

·       Healthwatch Wiltshire

·       Melksham Town Council

·       Parish Council Nominated Representatives

·       Melksham Chambers of Commerce

·       Melksham Senior People’s Forum

·       Trans Wilts Cic

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Written updates from the following partners were noted:

 

·       Wiltshire Police

 

·       Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service

 

·       NHS Wiltshire/Clinical Commissioning Group

 

·       Healthwatch Wiltshire

 

·       Melksham Town Council

 

·       Melksham Without Parish Council

 

·       Trans Wilts Cic

14.

Grant Funding

The Area Board members are asked to consider seven applications to the Community Area Grants scheme:

 

Melksham & District Girlguiding requesting £1,500 forMelkshamGirlguiding HQ Insulation of Building.

St John Ambulance requesting £1,000 for Melksham Unit Defibrillators.

 

1st Bowerhill Scout Group requesting £1,300 for 1st Bowerhill scout Group –

Do Our Best.

 

1st Bowerhill Scout Group requesting £1,985 for 1st Bowerhill scout Group –

Do Your Best.


Avon Bowls Club requesting £750 for Avon Bowls Club Pavilion New Floor Covering.

 

Atworth Village Hall and Recreation Ground Committee requesting £3,750 for Children’s Play Equipment.

 

Melksham Town Sound requesting £997 for AM Transmission Project MTS.


Grant application packs for the Community Area Grants Scheme are available from the Community Area Manager or electronically at:

 

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/communityandliving/areaboards/areaboardscommunitygrantsscheme.htm.



 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Wiltshire Councillors considered the following Grant Applications:

 

Decision

Melksham & District Girlguiding awarded £1,000 forMelkshamGirlguiding HQ Insulation of Building.
Reason

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

St John Ambulance awarded £1,000 for Melksham Unit Defibrillators.

Reason

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

1st Bowerhill Scout Group requesting £1,300 for 1st Bowerhill scout Group – Do Our Best & £1,985 for 1st Bowerhill scout Group – Do Your Best.  Note: these two grants were combined and awarded £1,500 as one grant award.

Reason

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Avon Bowls Club awarded £750 for Avon Bowls Club Pavilion New Floor Covering.

Reason

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Atworth Village Hall and Recreation Ground Committee awarded £2,186 for Children’s Play Equipment.

Reason

The grant meets the 2015/16 grants criteria.

 

 

Decision

Melksham Town Sound requesting £997 for AM Transmission Project MTS. This grant application was declined.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

15.

Any Other Items of Public Concern

Minutes:

It was agreed that following the recent fatality at the A350, that the Community Area Transport Group should be tasked with looking into changing the lanes to a left turn only and straight on, when travelling from Chippenham at the Lacock/Whitehall junction.

16.

Next Meeting

Wednesday 13 April at Semington Village Hall.

Minutes:

Wednesday 13 April at Semington Village Hall.

17.

Close

 

Actions

Search

This website