If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Online meeting

Contact: Lisa Moore  (Democratic Services Officer)


Note No. Item



Welcome and Introductions


The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting of the Salisbury Area Board and invited the members of the Board to introduce themselves.



Apologies for Absence


No apologies for absence were received.





To confirm the minutes of the meeting on 17 June 2021.


Supporting documents:



The minutes of the meeting held on 17 June 2021 were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.



Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.



There were no declarations of interest.



Chairman's Updates

The Chairman will give an update on outcomes and actions arising from previous meetings of the Area Board:



·       Leader Delegated Decision process


The Chairman made the following announcements:


Leader Delegated Decision

The legislation which allowed local authorities to take public meetings and decisions online during the pandemic, was not extended past 6 May 2021, therefore all Area Boards held online were required to pass any recommendations for a decision through the Leader Delegated Decision process.


Sale of Grosvenor House and Riverside

Grosvenor House and Riverside would be offered for sale on the open market the week following the meeting through the Council’s selling agent Myddelton & Major.


Any individual, organisation, community group, or company would be able to submit an offer for its acquisition through Myddelton & Major. The deadline for submitting an offer was midday 24th January 2022.



Information items

Written Updates attached to the agenda:


a.     Healthwatch Wiltshire

b.     Clinical Commissioning Group

c.     Wiltshire Council – 

·       Ash Dieback – link to video within written paper 

·       Climate Strategy & Natural Environment Plan consultations

d.     Future High Street Fund

e.     Salisbury Junction Improvements

f.       Air Quality Group


Supporting documents:


The Board noted the written information items attached to the online agenda, they included:


·       Healthwatch Wiltshire

·       Clinical Commissioning Group

·       Wiltshire Council – 

o   Ash Dieback – link to video within written paper 

o   Climate Strategy & Natural Environment Plan consultations

·       Future High Street Fund

·       Salisbury Junction Improvements

·       Air Quality Group




Partner and Community Updates

To note the written updates attached to the agenda and to receive any verbal updates from representatives present.


a)    Salisbury City Council (SCC)

b)    Laverstock and Ford Parish Council

c)    Police & Crime Commissioner

d)    Police

e)    Fire

f)      Salisbury BID

g)    Older People’s Champion



Note: Speakers are reminded that they each have a 3 minute slot, unless they have previously discussed alternative arrangements with the Chairman.

Supporting documents:


The Board noted the following written updates and papers from Partners and Community Groups which were included in the agenda pack:


·       Salisbury Neighbourhood Police Team

·       Dorset & Wilts Fire Update


Partner’s present were then invited to present updates, these included:


Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) - Philip Wilkinson

The new PCC gave an update to the meeting following his recent election. The PCC highlighted issues for the police regarding the police station at Bourne Hill and his hopes that it may be possible for there to be a new Salisbury police station which would be more suited to the needs of the police. It was hoped that it may even be possible for this to have a custody suite, as there were currently no facilities for that in Salisbury and anyone arrested and detained had to be taken to Melksham. It was not felt that this was the best use of officers’ time. The PCC was working on outreach to the community ensuring that the wishes, concerns and aspirations of the people of Swindon and Wiltshire were considered.


Police – Inspector Tina Osbourn

The Inspector stated that it had been a busy period, especially with the relaxing of lockdown which had caused an expected spike in crime. It was noted that there had been a series of catapult offences in Salisbury city centre and Bemerton Heath, fortunately these seemed to be reducing and work was ongoing to try and prevent these offences in the future. There had been a series of burglaries in Harnham, for which a man had been convicted and received a 4-year sentence. Community Speedwatch (CSW) work was still ongoing, and the police were supporting CSW volunteers as much as possible. There had been a slight increase in Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB), drug dealing and fly tipping, particularly in the Friary, mainly repeat offenders had been responsible and partnership working was underway to deal with matters. Work was also underway to build trust between police and the community in the Friary and the crime had reduced as a result. There had been some issues regarding E-Scooters which had led to some being seized. 4 new PCSO’s were joining the team in the coming weeks which was great news.


In response to questions, it was stated that there was proactive action planned against drugs issues on Bemerton Heath as well as in the Friary. Regarding ‘boy-racers’ at park and ride sites it was explained that this was a known issue that was policed regularly with targeted patrols.


Older People’s Champion – Irene Kohler

Irene Kohler gave details regarding the development of Silver Salisbury which gave older people the chance to contribute to and enjoy various activities and grants received which had helped to support the programme. Details were given of the effect of the pandemic and events and activities which had been held. Positive feedback was received helping to reduce isolation during COVID and beyond. The programme now also covered Amesbury, Wilton and Downton and separate strands of Silver  ...  view the full minutes text for item 34.



Highways Major Works 5 Year Plan

Diane Ware, Principal Technical Officer will take us through the proposed draft 5-year work plan followed by an opportunity for questions. The finalised Plan will be brought back to the Board for approval around April 2022.


Supporting documents:


Diane Ware, Principal Technical Officer for Highways introduced the draft 5 year major maintenance plan. The final plan would be amended on the basis of feedback received would come back to the Board in March/April 2022 for approval, prior to final sign off by Cabinet. Once the plan was finalised it could be viewed online at https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/highways-asset-management.


A continuous programme of surveying was underway throughout the whole county, utilising land rovers with specialist equipment to take measurements on the conditions of the roads. Last year all roads in the county were surveyed. The data generated enabled officers to determine if the road had structural faults or surface faults.


The officer explained that the funding model for roads had changed. Previously funds were allocated to each community area based on the kilometres of road in that community area.  This had now changed so that funds were proportioned based on how much maintenance was needed in each area, which was fairer and ensured that the roads in the poorest condition would be worked on.


Slides were shown to the meeting detailing the condition of roads by Area Board, some community areas were in worse than others and it was hoped that this would level out over the next 5 years ensuring that all areas roads were in a better condition. Changes to the Area Board boundaries had affected the plans and there were still some updates required to ensure that all roads and works required were recorded under the correct area board. The condition of the roads in Salisbury had improved in comparison with Wiltshire as a whole.


It was explained than unfortunately highways works were not carbon neutral due the nature of the products used and where they came from. However, by intervening early and keeping roads in good condition for as long as possible, usually by treating them in order to preserve the top layer, would help to ensure they were not structurally damaged and required rebuilding, which would help to reduce carbon costs.


The quality of roads in Salisbury was generally quite good, however there were localised areas where the conditions were bad, and these were included in the plan.


The officer explained that all the condition data was used to rank roads and gave them a scoring which was used to determine the order they should be worked on and the best type of scheme to use on certain roads. For example, surface dressing (tar and chips), a new surface course, or dig it up and completely resurface. The officer would propose a program order to the area highway engineer for feedback and the order may change slightly. At this point for anything from 2023 – 2027 community input could make a difference to what was in the plan, so feedback was welcomed.


The officer encouraged anyone who felt a road had been missed out of the plan, or the works should be re-ordered to contact her on diane.ware@wiltshire.gov.uk. Although it was highlighted that to bring  ...  view the full minutes text for item 35.



River Park Project - Update

Andy Wallace – Salisbury River Park Project Lead – Environment Agency


Andy Wallis, Salisbury River Park Project Lead for the Environment Agency presented the item. It was explained that this was a partnership project between Wiltshire Council, the Environment Agency and Salisbury City Council. The river frontages would be vastly improved within Salisbury. The project incorporated flood resilience, improved amenity, enhanced green infrastructure and improved ecology along with many other benefits.


Plans were shown for the north section of the river near Ashley Road/Fisherton Wreck detailing increased wetlands, woodlands, footpaths, cycleways and play areas. Further up towards the Maltings/Central Car Park was the main area of works where a 40/50 wide metre green corridor was to be created, helping to mitigate flood risk and also create a wildlife and amenity corridor. The scheme included a new footbridge from the coach park across the river to where the pedestrian paths would be.


Design work and surveys were currently underway, mobilisation on site was due around January 2022 and it was hoped phase 1 construction would be complete around December 2023. The project had current estimated of total costs £20-23 million and funding of £19 million had been secured.


Members were pleased that this project was underway and thought it would be really good for Salisbury. In response to a question regarding river flow and whether flow could be kept higher in the summer to help with fish stocks, it was stated that habitats would be maintained in the channels so the fish could thrive, and obstacles in the way of fish transiting the river would be removed. Low flows were hard to manage but the project would undertake to manage this and results would be monitored to ensure a healthy habitat was maintained. The Chairman thanked Mr Wallis for his update.




The Maltings - Update

An update from Richard Walters, Head of Service, Major Projects.


Richard Walters, Head of Service, Major Projects, gave an update to the meeting on the Maltings. The main reason for the update was the proposed acquisition of the shopping centre. 


As background the officer explained that the Council had existing land holdings in the Maltings such as central car park and the coach park. The aim was to regenerate the area. In 2019 a Master Plan was developed for the whole site. In 2020 the Central Area Framework was endorsed and this year the Salisbury River Park Master Plan had been endorsed.


The Council had previously sought to deliver regeneration in central car park and the Maltings site with a development partner. However due to adverse market conditions the development partner was unable to progress, even with government funding which had been secured. Other opportunities were explored with the current owners of the shopping centre, these were in turn impacted by Novichok and recent market headwinds, so the grant funding was repurposed towards the river park scheme. The Council owned the shopping centre free hold however it was felt that it would be beneficial to the regeneration for the shopping centre to be in single ownership which would give the Council more control over the regeneration. When it became apparent that the current owners were willing in principle to sell their interest, Cabinet and Full Council approval was gained to support land assembly in order to simplify ownership and allow flexible phased regeneration. Negations had been underway since that time and were complicated by the pandemic and the volatility of the market. A recent offer had been made for the site which encompassed the Maltings shopping centre including the Sainsburys site, Market Walk and the former British Heart Foundation site. The offer had not been accepted and the owners were talking to other parties. As a Council we could only support offers that were supported by commercial advice on the value. If a deal could be agreed this would be put to Cabinet for its approval.


A separate project was being taken forward to deliver the River Park project using the grant funding secured. Work was being undertaken on City Hall and the Cultural Quarter. A plan to bring forward regeneration on the Maltings and Central Car Park needed to be updated to take account of the land assembly position and market conditions. Any scheme developed would need to be based on policy and consulted on with stakeholders and the community.


In response to questions raised regarding the old British Heart Foundation site, it was explained that that land was still owned by the current owners of the shopping centre. It was understood that there was still an obligation between them and the hotel operator they had been working with and there was still an intention to pursue a hotel on the site. It was understood that the hotel operator had gone into a Company Voluntary Arrangement which may be affecting matters. Full contractual details were not known as that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37.



Salisbury City Hall

Information from David Redfern, Head of Service, Communities, on the future of Salisbury City Hall.



David Redfern, Head of Service, Communities gave an update on Salisbury City Hall. The officer explained that he headed the Councils community services, including in house leisure, libraries, the community engagement team and Salisbury City Hall.


As a recap the officer stated that City Hall was closed in March 2020 and the majority of the team were placed on furlough. In October 2020 a cabinet decision was taken to wind down services offered at City Hall and by February 2021 the City Hall delivery team left the council. Colleagues in Estates had worked with the NHS to ensure there was a positive use of City Hall which was currently being used as a vaccination centre. It had been agreed that this would be an NHS vaccination site until at least March 2022.


Future plans were that City Hall would continue as an integral part of Salisbury’s Cultural Quarter. The decision Cabinet made included that City Hall be reopened when it was safe to do so and when it was financially sustainable to do so.


The officer looked on a weekly basis at opportunities for City Hall. Phil Smith who had previously worked at City Hall for Wiltshire Council was now involved with the Chapel Live and Salisbury Playhouse was now up and running again which was positive.


The financially sustainable caveat imposed by Cabinet was difficult and officers were currently scoping options as part of the Cultural Strategy for Salisbury. Mr Redfern welcomed ideas from Members and the public present on what should happen with City Hall.


The Chairman stated that personally he had been quite shocked by the Cabinet decision. Some good officers had been lost and his opinion was that City Hall should reopen as an entertainment centre. He felt that there would be a knock-on effect on local businesses such as pubs and restaurants if City Hall did not reopen as an entertainment centre.


Members of the Board stated that City Hall was dear to them and the people of Salisbury and hoped that consultations on the future use of City Hall could be led by Salisbury Area Board. The Board Members wanted the venue to be upgraded and stay as an entertainment venue, with acts appropriate for all ages and tastes. It was also noted that consultations may require information for the public in different languages. Members also suggested looking into the possibility of acquiring funding from elsewhere. The Chairman highlighted that City Hall provided a service to residents which it was very important should continue.


Cllr Hocking stated that City Hall may just be too small, compared to other venues, to draw in the big headline acts that people hoped to see there, he also highlighted the budgetary constraints Wiltshire Council was facing, so one had to be pragmatic when looking at this.


A member of the audience suggested a headline sponsor to help raise funds to support City Hall, which was welcomed as a good idea.


The Chairman thanked David Redfern for the update.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.



Condition and safety of the A36's underpasses.

A discussion on the condition and safety of the A36’s underpasses.


Cllr Paul Sample




At the Chairman’s invitation Cllr Paul Sample led an item on the condition and safety of the A36’s underpasses.


Slides were shown detailing the condition of the A36 underpasses. Many of these were covered in graffiti tags and many were dark and vulnerable people often felt unsafe in the underpasses, particularly at night. Some of the underpasses were also prone to flooding.


Some underpasses had positive aspects such as the mosaics within the Greencroft underpass which had been installed previously by local residents, the street art mural on Milford Street and some of the new street art at New Bridge.


It was highlighted that pedestrians, particularly women and older people had an aversion to underpasses and people often went out of their way to avoid using them.


Cllr Sample posed a number of questions which he hoped could be answered now or in another forum, these were:


·       Was there a problem?

·       What do we need to do?

·       Could we make underpasses feel safer?

·       Could we improve cleaning and maintenance?

·       How could we improve lighting, especially at night?

·       Could CCTV be installed to make them safer?

·       What did vulnerable groups want to happen?

·       Could we turn underpasses into something we could be proud of?

·       How could tagging be discouraged?

·       Was there such a thing as “acceptable graffiti” or “street art”?

·       Could we encourage community art projects or invite talented street artists to undertake specific projects?


There was a consensus amongst Members that helping to improve the underpasses was a good idea, in particular involving community groups to help develop projects. Although it was acknowledged that this could be difficult as often the underpasses were not owned by Wiltshire Council and there were several stakeholders involved, such as National Highways, Wiltshire Council and Salisbury City Council. It was hoped a multi-agency approach could help to resolve the issues. Cllr McClelland stated that a new pump unit was being manufactured for Exeter Street. Members floated the idea of setting up a working group involving the Area Board and stakeholders to discuss all the issues and try to find solutions. 


Liz Batten, who was working in partnership with others to make a safer Salisbury in particular for women and girls, which in turn would make Salisbury safer for all, spoke and gave some details regarding work already undertaken on this matter. An action plan was being developed and having safer underpasses was a key part of the project. The Chairman hoped that Ms Batten could be part of the working group if set up.


Margaret Wilmott highlighted issues that cyclists who also used the underpasses encountered and stated that cyclists would also like to be represented on the working group.


Cllr Sample hoped that a holistic multi-agency approach could be taken to resolve issues and involving user groups was key as well. At the conclusion of the debate, it was,




That Salisbury Area Board would set up an underpasses working group to work on the issues raised regarding the condition and safety  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39.



Drain Repairs George Street South

Cllr Sample has asked the Board to note that road drains in George Street South are not working and need replacing.


He asks the Board to support a recommendation that Council notes the potential danger to public health in the area and the damage to private properties in George Street South and calls on Wiltshire Council to allocate the budget next year to replace the drains as a matter of priority.


Cllr Paul Sample JP, Salisbury St Edmunds Ward




Cllr Paul Sample explained that the road drains in George Street South were not working, he stated that these needed replacing and highlighted issues he had encountered when trying to resolve the issue. Cllr Sample felt that there were other properties in Salisbury with similar issues and wanted to ensure that Wilshire Council had the budget to replace the drains.


Richard Williams, Land Drainage Engineer, Wiltshire Council, explained that the Council was aware of the problems and the issue at George Street South was on the list of works to undertake and the risks were being managed. The list was prioritised according to risk and need, and this site was further down the list. Occasionally issues lower down the list would need to wait until the following financial year due to budgetary constraints. The officer stated that undermining of the house had not been reported to Wiltshire Council and if the resident reported it, the site could be reassessed. It was acknowledged that the system was slow draining. The carrier was Wessex Water and they had been spoken to about getting the system jetted.


Cllr Sample suggested cross department working to ensure that the Council use traffic orders to prevent cars parking on drains when gully cleaning teams came out. He felt that it was his role as a councillor to report issues his residents faced and that the Council needed to ensure that funds were available for basic issues such as blocked drains.


Cllr Sample proposed a motion that the Board note that the road drains in George Street South were not working and needed replacing. He also requested that the Board support a recommendation that Council notes the potential danger to public health in the area and the damage to private properties in George Street South and calls on Wiltshire Council to allocate the budget next year to replace the drains as a matter of priority.


Cllr Mark McClelland as Cabinet Member for Transport, Waste, Street Scene and Flooding, highlighted that there was a process in place and professional officers of the Council assessed all requests that came in across the County and prioritised those according to risk and within a limited budget, so the budget had to go to the most acute issues. Cllr McClelland stated that as he understood it there was no immediate public health risk at present and that the issue in George Street South was more complicated than simply unblocking a drain. His advice was that this issue should go through the normal process to be resolved, rather than circumventing established processes, although he understood Cllr Samples desire to push this issue up the agenda. The proposed motion was discussed.


Cllr Sample amended the motion on the basis of Cllr McClelland’s comments and proposed the Board to note that the road drains in George Street South were not working and needed replacing and to support a recommendation to raise awareness of this with the Cabinet Member. This was seconded by Cllr Ricky  ...  view the full minutes text for item 40.



Community Area Transport Group (CATG)

The Board is asked to note the minutes of the last CATG meeting held on 13 July 2021 and consider any funding recommendations arising from that meeting as set out in the attached report.


Items requiring a funding decision are:


·       4a - Request for the introduction of measures to stop fly tipping from occurring in Gradidge Lane, £1,600.00


Supporting documents:




·       To note the minutes from the CATG meeting held on 13 July

·       To approve the funding recommendation for CATG item 4a - Request for the introduction of measures to stop fly tipping from occurring in Gradidge Lane, £1,600.00.





Area Board Funding

The Board will consider funding bids as set out in the Funding Report attached to the agenda and summarised below:




Applicant and Project details

Total Project cost

Requested Amount


Sarum Rotary Club - Gazebo



£600 (CAG)


Wiltshire Creative - Window Wanderland


Note: AB agreed to allocate funding via CEM delegated Powers


£5,000 (CAG)

CEM delegated powers


Sarum Rotary Club - Hybrid Meetings


£600 (CAG)


Alzheimers Support -Salisbury Dementia Centre Fixtures and Fittings


£5,000 (CAG)


Wiltshire Music Centre -Celebrating Age Wiltshire


£1,500 (HW)


Wessex Archaeology Ltd -Well City Salisbury Youth courses


£4,994 (Youth)



Area Board Initiative - Chat Benches


Note: AB agreed to allocate funding via CEM delegated Powers


£208 (ABI)

CEM delegated powers


Supporting documents:


The Board considered funding applications as set out in the report attached to the agenda. Any applicants present were invited to briefly set out their projects. It was,




Youth Grants


·       To note that the Wessex Archaeology Ltd application for £4,994.00 towards Well City Salisbury Youth courses had been deferred by the applicant to a future meeting


Health and Wellbeing Grants


·       To grant Wiltshire Music Centre, £1,500.00 towards Celebrating Age Wiltshire


Community Area Grants:


·       To grant Sarum Rotary Club, £600.00 towards a Gazebo

·       To grant Sarum Rotary Club, £600.00 towards hybrid meeting equipment

·       To grant Alzheimers Support, £5,000.00 towards Salisbury Dementia Centre fixtures and fittings

·       To note the Wiltshire Creative grant for £5,000.00 towards Window Wanderland which had already been awarded under the delegated authority of the CEM

·       To note the Area Board initiative grant for £208.00 towards Chat Benches, which had already been awarded under the delegated authority of the CEM







The date of the next meeting is Thursday 2 December 2021 at 6.00pm



The Chairman thanked everyone for attending and noted that the next meeting of the Salisbury Area Board would be held on 2 December 2021.





This website