If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Pitton Village Hall, White Hill, Pitton, Salisbury, SP5 1EB

Contact: Lisa Moore  (Democratic Services Officer)

Items
Note No. Item

7.00pm

69.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chairman, Councillor Richard Britton welcomed everyone to the meeting of the Southern Wiltshire Area Board.

 

As this was the last meeting in the municipal year, the format was a little different. There would be a feedback participation session in item 9 – Community Development and the JSA to seek opinions on the way the Board should move forward in 2018/19.

 

 

70.

Apologies

Minutes:

There were none.

71.

Minutes

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held on Thursday 28 March 2018.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on Wednesday 28 March, were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

72.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were none.

73.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive Chairman’s Announcements:

 

·         Salisbury’s 2nd Bangers & Bikes Sportive

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman made the following announcements:

 

·         Salisbury’s 2nd Bangers & Bikes Sportive – this was a charity event being run by the Fire and Rescue Service which would be advertised in more detail under the Fire update later in the agenda.

 

·         General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – Parish Councils (PCs) were concerned with the impact on them with regards to the changes to GDPR coming in on May 25th. Guidance  had indicated that there would be a light touch period initially.

 

There had been an approach to Government for PCs to be exempt in the GDPR.

 

Cllr Clewer noted that the Minister had moved an amendment that would make things less onerous, to make PCs exempt. Information would be circulated to all PCs. Until more was known on the outcome of this, we should wait until the next meeting if necessary to consider whether further guidance was required.

 

·         Speed Indicator Device (SID) – An initiative between Landford and Whiteparish was being considered to share a SID. This seemed an attractive option for neighbouring PCs to get together to buy a SID, at the cost of around £3k. Those already enrolled in the Area Board syndicate would have the AB SID more frequently, as would those parishes that bought their own.

 

7.05pm

74.

To note the written reports and updates in the agenda pack or distributed on the night

·         Fire & Rescue Service

·         Healthwatch Wiltshire

·         Clinical Commissioning Group

·         Current consultations

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/council/consultations.htm

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Board noted the written reports and updates attached to the agenda pack.

 

Fire & Rescue Service – Jason Moncrieff

It had been a busy time for the service in Salisbury, following the Salisbury poisoning incident.

 

The service had been assisting with shared accommodation at Five Rivers, following the decant of the Police from Bourne Hill.

 

The 4x4 cell was used to get essential workers to their places of work during the snow.

 

A blood donation session would be taking place at Salisbury fire station on 15 May.

 

A Salamander Course would be hosted at Amesbury in June.

 

On 13 May, the Bangers and Bikes event would take place, this was a charity bike ride, with variety of distances available, with sausages and hot drinks available after completion of the race.

 

At the last meeting it had been noted that there was a sudden drop in the availability for February, however this was now back up for March.

 

Community engagement was ongoing in delivering safe and well visits, around the parishes. Jason urged people to spread the word and to encourage more people to book a visit.

 

The Chairman noted that the attached update detailed an invite for schools to arrange visits to fire stations or one of the safety centres.

 

For more information or to make a booking for your school or pre-school, please visit the webpage; https://www.dwfire.org.uk/school-visits/ or email enquiries@dwfire.org.uk 

 

 

Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

Following the comment at the last Board meeting in relation to the type of information contained in the updates, the Board was trying to arrange for a speaker to attend and hoped to set this up for the next meeting.

 

Information on current consultations was available online at:

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/council/consultations.htm

75.

Matters of Community Wide Interest

a) Parish Councils and Community groups

 

b) Community Policing local issues and priorities

Minutes:

There were no updates from Parish Council or Community groups.

 

Community Policing – local issues and priorities

Inspector Pete Sparrow was in attendance and circulated an update at the meeting. A copy of that update is attached to these minutes.

 

In addition, Inspector Sparrow gave the following update:

 

·         The first major incident, of the heavy snow fall was followed straight after by a second incident. During the snow, the community came out and helped others in need of assistance.

 

·         The second incident was an unprecedented one, which led to a massive logistical task for staff. He thanked the community for the outpouring of support for the well wishes to those affected and the offers of drinks for the Officers on duty at the cordons.

 

·         Wiltshire was a safe place, the support of the wider emergency services had been pushed to the limit, however it had still been business as usual, with the usual services being maintained. The Police were now moving from crime scenes towards the lengthy clean up phase and the 4 people who were physically affected were all showing positive signs of recovery

 

·         Last week the crime statistics for 2017 were published. Locally, up to the end of march, all crime has risen by 3%, in the Southern area, it had gone up 4%. Burglary had gone down by 16%. Whilst robbery had gone down by 100% as there had not been any this year. This was down to the amount of work on dealing with class A drug abuse.

 

·         Cycle theft had gone up 65% across the south. We will be working to tackle that.

 

·         South Wiltshire CPT had also joined forces with the local Community Speed Watches (CSW).  Having access to the data collected by these volunteers, we can better prioritize directing our Officers to the areas where they should be conducting speed enforcement.  There was an opportunity for the various Area Boards to set up and support more CSW programs.  I will commit that South Wilts CPT will attend the top 3 locations based on collected speed data and 1 further location that is rotated to allow us to attend all CSWs over the year.  Not only is this a great way to support another volunteer sector, it is also an opportunity to demonstrate that our officers are getting out in their areas.

 

The Chairman added that the work done by emergency services was generally good to see and greatly appreciated and valued by the public.

 

Questions and comments received:

·         Cllr Devine noted that in previous years, when there had been incidents in his ward, he had received a call from the Police to inform him. However, during the recent emergency, which had been run by the Met Counterterrorism Command, he had not been made aware when they came to do a closedown in Winterslow. Answer: There is always the opportunity for you to call us, the conversation can go both ways. This was the first time an incident like this had  ...  view the full minutes text for item 75.

7.20pm

76.

Electoral Review

An update on the Electoral Review the Local Government Boundary Commission is currently undertaking.

 

 

Cllr Richard Clewer, Chairman of the Electoral Review Committee

Minutes:

Under his role of Chairman of the Electoral Review Committee, Cllr Richard Clewer gave an update on the Review of the Local Government Boundary Commission. A written handout was circulated at the meeting and is attached to these minutes for information.

 

Electoral Reviews determine both the overall number of councillors on a council, and the pattern of divisions within that council. The current review would be the first review since Wiltshire Council was formed in 2009.

 

It was required because 25 Divisions had a variance from the average in the size of their electorate of more than 10%, and 2 Divisions had a variance from the average of over 30%.

 

The review’s outcome, if implemented, would apply from the next elections in May 2021. Parliament, not Wiltshire Council, would be responsible for the final decision, following a recommendation from the Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE).

 

The councils Electoral Review Committee considered a great deal of evidence and recommended to Full Council that a council size of 99 Councillors be put forward, to enable us to keep the area boards working.

 

The implications of having fewer councillors could be quite significant for some of our areas.

 

We were told we would have a decision on 1st May, instead they have come back and said they are unsure and would like to talk further about the Area Board arrangements.

 

Once we have been informed of what the number of councillors in Wiltshire council from the next election will be, the LGBCE will hold a public consultation.

 

The consultation will seek proposals from the council, towns and parishes, other community or local groups, and members of the public, on how the determined number of divisions should be drawn up.

Cllr Clewer encouraged everyone to put submissions in and engage in the process.

 

The current electorate for the Southern Wiltshire Community Area was 18,209 with 5 electoral divisions. The average division size at present across the council area was 3752.

 

The projected draft electorate for the Southern Wiltshire Community Area in 2024 was 20,128.

 

Below are listed the draft figures for the projected electorates for the current pattern of division, and for parishes, in 2024. These may be subject to some change.

 

Divisions

Laverstock, Ford and Old Sarum – 5181 (this does not include section of Laverstock Parish currently within Salisbury St Marks and Bishopdown Division)

Winterslow – 3325

Alderbury and Whiteparish – 3583

Redlynch and Landford – 3875

Downton and Ebble Valley – 4163

 

Parishes

Alderbury – 1844

Britford – 300

Clarendon Park – 208

Coombe Bissett – 599

Downton – 2772

Firsdown – 508

Grimstead – 476

Landford – 1628

Laverstock – 7654 (including 2473 currently in Salisbury St Marks and Bishopdown, and Salisbury Area Board)

Odstock – 457

Pitton and Farley – 656

Redlynch– 2246

West Dean – 204

Whiteparish – 1265

Winterslow – 1748

 

It is these numbers that the LGBCE will use to create new divisions. They may use parts of parishes, and may  ...  view the full minutes text for item 76.

7.35pm

77.

Community Development and the Joint Strategic Assessment (JSA)

Discussion of the role of the area boards in furthering the aims of the JSA in general and community development in particular.

 

“We need your views!”

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman explained that at the last Area Board there was considerable debate about the function of the Board. He noted that Area Boards were always envisaged as an interface between communities and the administration at Trowbridge.

 

There were areas where we do need to engage with Wiltshire Council, however our focus had been to work downwards, as we feel that was the best way to improve things for our communities.

 

The Board wished to have a discussion on the role of the Area Boards, in furthering the aims of the JSA in general and community development in particular.

 

The Board tried to help communities and parishes with resources and funding where possible. Including signposting to additional funds and volunteering groups.

 

Tom then ran through some of the JSA themes. The priorities were split into 9 themes, with 27 sub themes, all selected by people at the JSA event in 2016.

 

He explained that where there were gaps, they would like to look at doing something about it.

 

The onscreen presentation then showed a table of 9 themes, of which, people were then asked to vote on the top three for their own community.

 

1.Children and young people

2.Community Safety

3.Culture

4.Economy

5.Environment

6.Health and wellbeing, Leisure

7.Your Community & Housing

8.Transport

9.Older People

 

Following the vote, themes 1,2,& 5 were prioritised by those in attendance. Further consultation on these themes would go out to parishes to contribute.

 

Feedback was then sought on what was missing or what else could be done within the three themes.

 

Children and young people

 

-        Playparks, the PCs were having to take them on with not much help or funding.

-        We should ask the young people themselves, go to the youth clubs and groups. Action: Cllrs to take that on in their own areas.

-        The support to the youth clubs was great, but not all of the young people in our areas had access to youth clubs and activities. Need to look at expanding that to all.

-        Battery free light to help children to walk on country roads to school. Could we look at other area boards to see what they are doing in these areas of work. There may be other things we are already doing to see if we can pick up on them. Action: Tom to do an audit.

-        We don’t currently bring the youth clubs together, unite clubs and resources.

 

Community Safety

-        Could we take some time to take this back to our parish councils and then feedback? – yes.

-        A closer relationship with the police and the parish councils.

-        Lack of communication, it was not a two-way stream.

-        PCs feel frustration because they do not see the local bobbies enough.

-        When we do let them know about incidents, we would also like feedback on what happened.

-        Speeding cars through the villages, only a few have speed watch, if you have not got it then what do you do if  ...  view the full minutes text for item 77.

8.35pm

78.

Our Youth Theme

Funding Youth activities 2018/19.

 

Details

Amount requested

Innov8 Sportz CIC
60 hours of sports delivery until 31 March 2019
 

£2,850

Boomsatsuma

48 hours of arts delivery until 31 March 2019

£5,850

Any Body Can Cook

8 sessions at each group until 31 March 2019

£4,280

Wiltshire Council

Third Generation Artificial Turf Pitch in the Salisbury Area

 

£2,500

Youth funding available:

£14,528

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Board considered the proposal to allocate funding towards the positive activities provision for the voluntary led youth clubs in Southern Wiltshire, as detailed in the report attached to the agenda.

 

Decision

The Southern Wiltshire Are Board allocated £2,850 to Innov8 Sportz CIC to provide 60 hours of sports delivery until 31 March 2019.

 

Decision

The Southern Wiltshire Are Board allocated £5,850 to Boomsatsuma to provide 48 hours of arts delivery until 31 March 2019.

 

Decision

The Southern Wiltshire Are Board allocated £4,280 to Innov8 Sportz CIC to provide 8 sessions at each group until 31 March 2019.

 

 

Youth Grant Funding

The Board considered one application for funding from the Youth Funding budget for 2018/19, as detailed in the report.

 

The representatives for the application were invited to speak on the project and to answer questions. The main points raised included that the project had been started three years ago, with work to identify a suitable site for the pitch. This had ended with a preferred scheme at Sarum Academy, which would provide use across southern Wiltshire.

 

The Football foundation would be the main funder, the total project cost would be £700k to construct. There was a 4 phase process. A feasibility study was required prior to the application being submitted.

 

This grant would help to make this project a reality. The application had also been put forward to Salisbury and South West Area Boards.

 

The Salisbury City Council would come into this at a later phase.

 

Questions were asked, these included:

 

·         Cllr McLennan - In my discussions with the applicants, it was explained that the Salisbury area could get 2 pitches. L&F sports club was keen to be put forward as the other areas for a pitch and there was the prospect of Longhedge being a site also. We should wait for a similar application from L&F sports club, in grounds of a local club. The school’s opposite would have good use of that pitch. Answer: The project at L&F was one we are working with the FA on, but there was no current funding on the table to move that forward at the moment. Sarum academy has business plans in place and funding in place.

·         Cllr Clewer - We have a small amount of money to put in to projects for children, I am not sure this was the right thing for our children.

·         Chris Hall – I am appalled that WC is putting this through. This should be funded by WC, not have them apply for a grant to request the funding.

 

·         Sarum academy is open until 10pm every night serving the community, this is something for use by the families in the community not for the school.

 

·         This is not really what our youth money was intended for, we are here to support the youth division in our communities, this would not be a logical use of our limited resources.

 

Decision

The Southern Wiltshire Area Board refused the bid for funding from  ...  view the full minutes text for item 78.

8.40pm

79.

Community Area Transport Group (CATG) Update

The Board will note the minutes of the last CATG meeting held on 11 April 2018, and consider any recommendations arising from that meeting as detailed in the attached papers.

 

·        Issue 3790 traffic calming scheme at Ford. Additional costs of £4000 arising from electricity work. CATG agreed to fund £3000 subject to an additional £1000 contribution from Ford And Laverstock PC.

 

·       Issue 5637 Improved signage and white lining at White Hill Pitton. CATG is asked to fund £1600 subject to a PC contribution of £400.

 

·       Issue 6179 Additional HGV sign at Crockford Road West Grimstead. CATG to fund £900 with a further £300 from Grimstead PC.

 

·       Issue 6180 Nameplate for Crockford Road West Grimstead. CATG £180 PC £70.

 

·       Issue 6116 New three-armed signpost at Butterfurlong Road. Contribution towards the lettering on the sign to be provided by parishioner. CATG £150; PC £150.

 

·       Issue 5981 Five replacement street nameplates at Alderbury. CATG £625; PC £625.

 

 

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Board noted the minutes of the last CATG meeting held on 11 April 2018, and considered the recommendations arising from that meeting as detailed in the papers attached to the agenda.

 

 

Decision

The Southern Wiltshire Area Board approved the recommendations of the CATG as follows:

 

·         Issue 3790 traffic calming scheme at Ford. Additional costs of £4000 arising from electricity work. CATG agreed to fund £3000 subject to an additional £1000 contribution from Laverstock and Ford PC.

 

·         Issue 5637 Improved signage and white lining at White Hill Pitton. CATG is asked to fund £1600 subject to a PC contribution of £400.

 

·         Issue 6179 Additional HGV sign at Crockford Road West Grimstead. CATG to fund £900 with a further £300 from Grimstead PC.

 

·         Issue 6180 Nameplate for Crockford Road West Grimstead. CATG £180 PC £70.

 

·         Issue 6116 New three-armed signpost at Butterfurlong Road. Contribution towards the lettering on the sign to be provided by parishioner. CATG £150; PC £150.

 

·         Issue 5981 Five replacement street nameplates at Alderbury. CATG £625; PC £625.

 

 

8.45pm

80.

Community Area Grants

The Board will consider applications for funding from the Community Area Grant Scheme.

 

Applicant

Amount requested

Applicant: Winterslow Short Mat Bowls Club.
Project Title: Winterslow Short Mat Bowls Club new mat

View full application
 

£980.00

Applicant: Laverstock and Ford Parish Council
Project Title: Resurfacing of hoggin path extension to Greentrees Junior School

View full application
 

£5250.00

Funding available for 2018/19

£31,941

 

 

Officer: Tom Bray, Community Engagement Manager

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Board considered two applications for funding from the Community Area Grant scheme for 2018/19, as detailed in the attached report.

 

Applicants present were invited to speak in support of their projects. Following discussion, the Members voted on each application in turn.

 

Decision

Winterslow Short Mat Bowls Club was awarded £927 towards a new mat.

Reason

The application met the criteria of the Community Area Grant Scheme for 2018/19.

 

 

Cllr Clewer noted that following the previous meeting, where this next application had been deferred, he had discussed with the director for planning, and with the developer, but had not been able to make any headway.

 

Cllr McLennan noted that the site was in the Salisbury Area Boards area, and the local Member was Cllr Derek Brown.  He went on to state that he had been in discussions with the Monitoring Officer who had advised him that the Southern Area Board should allocate Salisbury Area Boards funds to this project as the school site lays in the Bishopdown ward, and was not part of Southern Wiltshire. He felt that L&F had not been listened to by Salisbury on this project and so had taken the matter to the monitoring officer for advice.

 

Tom had spoken to the Salisbury CEM, who had advised that it would be better received by Salisbury Area Board if there was a part contribution from this Area Board.

 

As the Board did not have the remit to allocate another Area Boards budget to a project, it considered the options available. It was felt that as the site was not part of the Southern Wiltshire community area, the Board would look to Salisbury Area Board to consider the project.

 

Decision

The Southern Wiltshire Area Board recommends this project for funding by the Salisbury Area Board as the site sits in the Salisbury Area Board community area.

Reason

The school site is in the ward of Cllr Brown who sits on the Salisbury Area Board.

 

 

9.00pm

81.

Close

Minutes:

The Chairman thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday

Attachments: Electoral Review Data and Police Update

Supporting documents:

 

Actions

Search

This website