If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Bouverie Hall, Goddard Road, Pewsey SN9 5QE

Contact: Stuart Figini  Democratic Services Officer

Items
Note No. Item

7:00pm

81.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced the Area Board Members, the officers, Tracy Carter – Director, Waste and Environment, Councillor Tom Rounds, Portfolio Holder for Waste and Councillor Ian Blair-Pilling.

 

82.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence had been received from: Carolyn Whistler - Newnton Parish Council and Acting Sector Inspector James Williams – Wiltshire Police.

83.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Monday 8 January 2018

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Decision

The minutes of the meeting held on 8th January 2018 were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

84.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

7:05pm

85.

Chairman's Announcements

The Chairman will make the following announcements:

 

·         Work Wiltshire website.

 

·         Real Change Wiltshire.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chair drew attention to the following announcements available in the agenda pack:

 

  • Work Wiltshire website

 

  • Real Change Wiltshire.

7:15pm

86.

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Cllr Oatway QPM will comment on the General Data Protection Regulation.  Further information about the Regulation can be found at this link https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr.

 

Minutes:

The Area Board received an update from Cllr Oatway about the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the impact on Parish Councils.

It was noted that the intention of the GDPR was to strengthen and unify data protection for all individuals within the European Union (EU). It also addressed the export of personal data outside the EU.  The GDPR aims primarily to give control back to citizens and residents over their personal data and to simplify the regulatory environment for international business by unifying the regulation within the EU. It was adopted on 27 April 2016. It becomes enforceable from 25 May 2018, after a two-year transition period.

Cllr Oatway explained that the potential for serious financial implications were high for Parish Councils, and they were encouraged not to take any action on GDPR until they had received a further update. It was noted that the Leader of the Council would be raising concerns about GDPR in the House of Lords and it was understood that the local MP’s were not supporting its implementation.

The Chair thanked Cllr Oatway for his report.

7:20pm

87.

Partner Updates

To receive any updates from partner organisations:

 

·         Healthwatch Wiltshire

·         NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group

·         Wiltshire Police

·         Dorset and Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service

·         Pewsey Community Area Partnership

·         Parish Council Updates

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Area Board received and noted the following updates from key partners:-

 

(a)  Healthwatch Wiltshire       The written report was received and noted. 

 

(b)  Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)       The written report was received and noted.

 

(c)  Wiltshire Police      In the absence of Acting Sector Inspector James Williams, Cllr Oatway introduced the Police report and highlighted the following matters:

 

·         Changes within the force leadership

·         Safer schools internet day

·         Community Policing Teams boundary changes

·         Thefts from work vans and oil

 

The Area Board noted the outstanding and tireless work undertaken by farmers in the Pewsey Vale area during the recent heavy snow falls across the county.  The Chair, on behalf of the Area Board, thanked them for helping to clear blocked roads, towing trapped vehicles and providing supplies to stranded villagers.

 

(d)  Dorset and Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service              The written report was received and noted.

 

(e)  Pewsey Community Area Partnership (PCAP)          Dawn Wilson and Colin Gale, presented the PCAP update. In particular the following matters were raised:

 

·         Great West Way

·         Historic Maps Project

·         Film of Pewsey Vale available to purchase from the Pewsey Vale Tourism Partnership.

·         Great Western Rail franchise consultation

·         Extension of the current GWR contract for one year until April 2020, followed by a new two year contract with GWR up to April 2022.

·         The promotion of new railway stations at Wilton, Corsham and Devizes.

·         An application submitted GWR and Network Rail about an application for new five coach sets running out of Pewsey that would reduce the journey time to London.

·         Concern at the lack of gritting on strategic routes A345 and A346 and the impact on the local residents.

 

 

 

 

·         Wiltshire Council’s Environment Select Committee discussing how the Council worked with operating companies, however there did not appear to be a recognition of Pewsey or Bedwyn railway stations being commuter stations.

 

The Chair indicated that the three Area Board members would write to the Chair of the Environment Select Committee highlighting the importance of the railway stations at Pewsey and Bedwyn and confirming that they are recognised by the residents of the area as commuter stations.

 

Resolved:     That the three Area Board Members write to the Chair of the Environment Select Committee highlighting the importance of the Railway stations at Pewsey and Bedwyn and a recognition by local residents that they were considered as commuter stations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7:40pm

88.

Report back on Great British Spring Clean events, 2-4 March

Community Engagement Manager

Minutes:

The Community Engagement Manager explained that the Great British Spring Clean scheduled for 2nd – 4th March 2018 had to be cancelled due to the amount of snow fall during that period.  The Area Board noted that the event had been rescheduled for 23rd – 25th March 2018.

7:45pm

89.

Future of the Everleigh Househould Recycling Centre

Cllr Bridget Wayman, Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport and Waste and Tracy Carter - Director, Waste and Environment, Wiltshire Council.

Minutes:

The Area Board received a presentation about the Everleigh Household Recycling Centre (HRC) from Tracy Carter, Director of Waste and Environment, following a request at the last Area Board meeting which highlighted the concerns about the conditions and operation of the Centre since its transfer to FCC Environment.

 

The presentation highlighted the current status of Everleigh HRC, the usage of the HRC sites in Wiltshire, the impact of the Ministry of Defence re-basing personnel to the County, the Council’s statutory duty with regard to disposal of waste and comparisons with other Councils. During the presentation the Director of Waste and Environment acknowledged that the site had suffered from a lack of maintenance of the infrastructure and periodic inspections by the Council over a long period of time and any decision on the future of Everleigh would be the subject of a new specific consultation.

 

Following the presentation, the Director of Waste and Environment responded to the following issues and questions raised by Area Board:

 

·         Questions submitted by Pewsey Community Area Partnership and Pewsey Parish Council prior to the meeting not receiving a response at the meeting.

·         Use of sealed bins to overcome drainage issues potentially in the short term.

·         Impact of the transfer of operations to FCC Environment and issues identified to improve sites.

·         The role of the Environment Agency during the transfer of operations to FCC Environment.

·         The future use of the HRC.

·         Materials not currently accepted at the HRC.

·         Concerns about the increase in fly tipping in the area and associated costs.

·         The need for alternative statistics regarding the usage of the Everleigh HRC.

·         Site inspections at Everleigh HRC.

·         Value of recyclable materials and potential revenue sources.

·       Timescales for providing information to local residents about the works required at Everleigh HRC.

·       The clear message from the Pewsey and Tidworth Area Board is that the Everleigh HRC should remain open.

 

The Director of Waste and Environment informed the Area Board that some of the questions received were complex and further information and clarification was being sought from the Environment Agency.  Outstanding questions would be responded to as soon as possible. She also explained that a report was being prepared for a future Cabinet meeting, however it was not known at this stage which meeting it would be considered at.

 

The Area Board noted that the Cabinet would make any final decision about the proposals arising from the Household Waste Strategy Task Group, following the Task Groups final report being considered by the Environment Select Committee. If the Cabinet decided that the Everleigh HRC should close, that decision would then be subject of a separate consultation.

 

The Director of Waste and Environment offered to meet with parish council representatives to discuss their concerns about the Everleigh HRC in more detail.

 

Resolved:    

1.    That a meeting be arrange between the Director of Waste and Environment and Area Board attendees, to discuss concerns surrounding the Everleigh HRC.

2.    That Pewsey Area Board Town and Parish Councils and partners be invited to nominate  ...  view the full minutes text for item 89.

8:05pm

90.

Joint Strategic Assessment and End of Year Budget Report

Community Engagement Manager

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Area Board received an update from the Community Engagement Manager (CEM), about the progress being made to address the priorities previously identified by the community at the ‘Our Community Matters’ Joint Strategic Assessment (JSA) event held on 19thJanuary 2017.

 

The CEM explained that the JSA brought together the results of research conducted by the major agencies and public sector bodies in Wiltshire over the last six months. The project was initiated by the Wiltshire Health and Wellbeing Board and the Wiltshire Assembly. These bodies will use the priorities emerging from the events to focus and support strategic projects, activities and services across Wiltshire.

 

The Area Board were reminded that they had adopted these priorities and would focus on supporting and facilitating local actions to tackle the priorities. The CEM highlighted the main actions achieved between April and October 2017 for each of the priority areas.

 

The Chair thanked the CEM for his presentation.

 

Resolved:

(1)  To note the JSA update report.

 

(2) To express the Area Boards thanks to the organisations, groups and partners that had contributed actions to address the local priorities set by the community.  

8:15pm

91.

Update on The Vale Health and Wellbeing Centre

Cllr Paul Oatway

Minutes:

The Area Board received a brief update about the Pewsey Vale Health and Wellbeing Centre from Cllr Paul Oatway.  The main issues raised included:

 

·         The building works to deliver the Centre were progressing well and construction of the roof was taking place.

·         The wheels sports area would now be a larger outside area, rather than inside as originally planned.  The plans for this area were currently being prepared.  

 

The Chair thanked Cllr Oatway for his update.

8:20pm

92.

Update on Working Groups

Local Youth Network inc. proposals for expenditure  - Jan Bowra

 

Health and Wellbeing Group inc. proposals for expenditure - Cllr Stuart Wheeler

 

Community Area Transport Group inc. proposals for expenditure - Cllr Jerry Kunkler

 

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

a.    Savernake Forest Scout Group (Equipment for 2 day hiking expedition) for £1,699.50;

 

David Butler, a representative of the Scout Group, introduced the application to fund the purchase of equipment for a 2 day hiking expedition and future use by the Group. The Group then responded to a number of questions from the Area Board. Cllr Stuart Wheeler proposed the award, seconded by Cllr Paul Oatway QPM.

 

Resolved:

The Board agreed unanimously to award the funds of £1,699.50.

 

b.    Pewsey Community Area Partnership (PCAP) - Health and Wellbeing Projects (Combined bids for Pewsey Vale projects) for £7,700:

 

Dawn Wilson, representing PCAP, introduced the application to fund a number of combined projects for the Pewsey Vale area to include (i) transport, (ii) the Gateway Club Arts Project and Memory Café, (iii) Transport leaflet, (iv) Transport  for access to the new leisure centre and Dr surgeries etc.

 

Cllr Stuart Wheeler proposed the award, seconded by Cllr Paul Oatway QPM.

 

Resolved:

The Board agreed unanimously to award the funds of £7,700.00.

 

c.    Community Area Transport Group

 

Cllr Kunkler reported that an update for the group was not currently available but that he would be able to provide a report to the next meeting.

8:35pm

93.

Community Area Grants

To determine any applications for Community Area Grants:

 

·         Burbage Parish Council requesting £600 to move and refurbish kiosk for use as a tourist information facility

 

·         Bedwyn memorial Hall requesting £497 towards the promotion and restoration of rights of way in the parish of Great Bedwyn

 

·         Area Board Initiative – £500 White Horse Interpretation Boards

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Area Board considered three applications for Community Area Grant funding.  The Chairman invited the application representatives to give a brief overview of their project and an opportunity to respond to questions from the Area Board.

 

Resolved:

 

1.     That the following grant applications be agreed:

 

a)     Bedwyn Memorial Hall (Promotion and restoration of rights of way in the parish of Great Bedwyn) for £497.00;

b)    Burbage Parish Council (Pewsey Vale Tourism Kiosk) for £600.00; and 

c)     Councillor Led Initiative (White Horse Interpretation Boards) for £500.00

 

2.     That the remaining £150 held in the Community Area Grant fund be transferred to the Community Area Transport Group for use on future projects.

8:55pm

94.

Urgent items

Any other items of business which the Chairman agrees to consider as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

9:00pm

95.

Future Meeting Dates and Close

 

The next meeting of the Pewsey Area Board is scheduled for Monday 21 May 2018, 7pm at Burbage Village Hall

 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Pewsey Area Board was scheduled for Monday 21st May 2018, 7pm at Burbage Village Hall.

 

The Chairman thanked everyone for attending.

 

 

Actions

Search

This website