If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Durrington Village Hall, High Street, Durrington, SP4 8AD

Contact: Jessica Croman  Democratic Services Officer

Items
Note No. Item

7.00pm

4.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr Mike Hewitt welcomed everyone to the meeting of the Amesbury Area Board and thanked the Durrington Village Hall for hosting the meeting.

 

At the Chairman’s invitation, the Councillors introduced themselves.

 

5.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

There were none.

 

7.05pm

6.

Introduction to your local Area Board

An introduction to Area Boards with the Community Engagement Manager; Dave Roberts, to explore the role and function of the Area Board.

 

Officer: Dave Roberts, Community Engagement Manager

Minutes:

The Community Engagement Manager; Dave Roberts presented an introduction to Area Boards.

 

The role of the Community Engagement Manager:

·       To help deliver the vision to strengthen local communities and help them to do more for themselves

·       Maximise the involvement and engagement in council services and decisions; particularly those that affect our local area

·       Assist the area board to deliver its local priorities

·       Encourage grant applications and the administration of these

·       Support the various groups of the area board; Community Area Transport Grants (CATG), Health and Wellbeing Group, Local Youth Network (LYN)

·       Facilitate and coordinate community events and activities

·       Connect communities and maximise opportunities

·       Communicate what’s happening

 

Area boards and what they do:

·       Host events and meetings where the local community can participate

·       Invest in local community projects

·       Agree the local priorities and act to combat these; such as obesity, social isolation, mental health issues

·       Influence and take decisions on local service delivery

·       Support and deliver activities for young people

·       Communicate information every week

·       Encourage participation and volunteering in community activities

·       Acts as a consultee on council policy and changes

 

Area Board Achievements over the last 8 years:

 

·       120,000 people had taken part in events and meetings

·       £12m invested in local community projects - every £1 invested secures £4 in external funding

·       5,000 local projects and community groups funded

·       25,000 people received information each week

·       25,000 volunteers supported events and activities

·       6,000 local people helped set local priorities

·       15,000 young people benefited from 350 projects supported by area boards each year

·       4 million area board news articles viewed each year

 

 

 

The Amesbury Area Board Budget for 2017/18 was £115,887. To be split into separate funding pots as follows:

·       £55,530 for community grants (capital)

·       £28,370 for community transport (capital)

·       £24,287 for youth projects (revenue)

·       £7,700 for health and wellbeing and older people’s champion (revenue)

 

This year there would be a number of county-wide and local activities, including the Tree planting initiative, to commemorate the ending of WW1, The Big Pledge - ‘London Calling’ and Clean up Wiltshire. Further details would be provided later in the meeting.

 

It was hopped that 10,000 trees would be planted across Wiltshire, each one to represent a soldier. Dave asked for ideas for the tree planting, some of the comments received included:

 

·       At Larkhill, where the 400 new houses were to be built, some of the trees could go there.

 

·       There was previously a project at the Abbot Track, out of Amesbury across Larkhill, where people were trying to preserve the apple trees there a few years ago. Cllr Westmoreland would pass the information regarding this to the CEM after the meeting.

 

·       PCs may be asked to look after the trees once planted.

 

The board noted its thanks to the CEM for his diligent work over the last 4 years.

7.45pm

7.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday  2 March 2016.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Decision

The minutes of the last two meetings held on 2 March and 16 May 2017, were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

8.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

Minutes:

There were none.

 

9.

Chairman's Announcements

The Chairman will introduce the announcements and invite any questions.

Minutes:

The Chairman made the following announcements:

 

·         He thanked those who had taken part in the Board over the last 4 years, especially those who had regularly attended. He asked people to  spread the word to those who had not attended so often.

 

·         There had been a meeting on Tuesday night at City Hall, to provide information to parishes on street cleaning and litter picking. Everyone had been encouraged to report issues on the My Wiltshire app, where it was then directed to the right team.

 

·         Adrian Hampton would be invited to attend a future AB to provide further information. It was hoped that in future a highways Maintenance schedule for the area would be provided to the board ahead of the works to be done so that there was the opportunity to adapt that list.

 

           Action: CEM to liaise with Adrian and invite him to a future meeting.

 

·         Thanks to Cllr John Smale and Cllr Ian West, who had Chaired the meetings so well over the last 4 years.

·         The Board wished to write a letter to former Cllr Ian West for his 22 years of work for the area.

 

            Action: Board to work with CEM to write a letter to Cllr West.

 

·         A303 meetings were on-going, with another due shortly. A consultation would take place in the spring 2018. Following that public meetings and discussion would take place, where everyone could get involved.

7.50pm

10.

Appointments to outside Bodies and Working Groups

To consider the report on Outside Bodies and Working Groups and to appoint representatives from the Board for 2017/18.

 

The Area Board is requested to:

 

a.         Appoint Councillor representatives to Outside Bodies as set out at Appendix A;

 

b.         Agree to reconstitute and appoint to the Working Group(s) as set out in Appendix B; and

 

c.         Note the Terms of Reference for the Working Group(s), as set out in Appendix C.

 

d.         Appoint an Older People’s Champion for the Area Board, in accordance with Appendix D.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Board considered the report attached to the agenda.

 

Decision:

The Amesbury Area Board agreed to:

 

a)    Appoint Councillor representatives to Outside Bodies as set out at Appendix A;

 

b)    Agree to reconstitute and appoint to the Working Group(s) as set out in Appendix B; and

 

c)    Note the Terms of Reference for the Working Group(s), as set out in Appendix C

 

d)    Re appoint Jan Tidd as the Older People’s Champion for the Area Board, in accordance with Appendix D.

 

The Chairman noted that the CATG was reasonably attended by parish representatives when they had a project for consideration, he urged parishes to send someone even if they were not currently after funding as it was useful to gain an insight in to the work of the group, and of possible schemes taking place around the community area.

 

This also went for the Local Youth Network (LYN) and the Health & Wellbeing Group (H&WB), as both of those Groups needed regular contact with people to get the community working together, for themselves and by themselves.

 

Cllr Henry noted that as the lead Cllr for young people, he has some ideas of how he would like to develop the LYN this year. He was currently looking at the Terms of Reference and would like to set up some Youth Councillors. He would be liaising with the schools, clubs and other places, such as the bluz and twos discos, to bring more young people to these.

7.55pm

11.

Updates from Partners and Town/Parish Councils

To receive updates from the Town and Parish Council Representatives, and from other partner organisations, including outside bodies on which the Area Board is represented.

 

To note the written reports attached to the agenda from:

 

·         Police

·         Healthwatch Wiltshire

·         Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman referred to the updates set out in the agenda and invited further updates from Town/Parish Councils and other Partners, including outside bodies.  It was noted that the preferred option was for written updates, to minimise time spent during the meeting.

 

Police – Inspector Nick Mawson

Included in the written report in the pack, was info from Chief Constable Mike Veale, regarding the use of the taser.

 

The National Threat level had increased from severe to critical, that meant an attack was imminent, Locally, Wiltshire Police had critical plans in place, no local threat was known in Wiltshire, however we must be prepared. Additional controls were out, in town centres, train stations, and at tourist attractions, but were just there as a reassurance to the public.

 

In some areas, military Police were also on patrol; as the Police had accepted their assistance, this was more visible on the plain and around the barracks.

 

The Police had more staff on the ground, however the public were the eyes and ears effectively. He urged people to let them know if they were unsure about a situation, to enable them to make a judgement.

 

Questions:

 

·         There was an incident recently where a lady was followed in her car at 9.30pm, where a man tried to make her pull in. She reported it, was told there was nothing they could do.

 

·         There had been cars speeding late at night through the winterbournes, these incidents should all be reported, so the police can build up a log.

 

·         Answer: We are stretched as are many organisations, we need to prioritise issues, so if everything is logged we can deal with some reports when they come in and if not prioritised professionally.

 

·         Would the Police attend events such as village fetes, due to threat level? Answer: You may well not see Police at local events at the moment, as we may have to re-prioritise our duties. For at least 2 weeks this will be our change of focus.

 

·         The Amesbury carnival is due to take place in the week commencing 12 June, were there any special measures we should be considering that we may not have prior to the threat level? Answer: Make sure your community has a Threat plan, a Community communication plan, an evacuation plan, and a list of stewards, and that all of this is up to date.

 

Fire – Tom Brolan, District Commander for Amesbury and Pewsey

In addition to the written report circulated at the meeting, Tom gave the following update:

 

·         It had been just over a year since the combination. A Chief Officer had been appointed and the service was revising areas such as IT and HR, there was lots of behind the scenes work going on.

 

·         Jim Marnie Assistant manager was interviewed on BBC, at no point were any 999 calls unanswered.

 

·         Tom drew attention to the links provided in the handout, where people could request a home visit from a safety  ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.

8.15pm

12.

Foodbank Amesbury

To receive information about Amesbury Foodbank.

 

Speaker: Lucy Duffy

Minutes:

Lucy Duffy came to present information about the Amesbury Food Bank. An organisation originally set up by a couple in Salisbury, there were now over 426 food banks across the UK. Lucy was the manager at Salisbury branch, but her patch covered Tisbury out to Downton.

 

The aim of the food bank was to provide three days of emergency food to a person in need.

 

There was a monitoring system for those using the service and other forms of support was also available, including signposting to other agencies which could help people get out of the crisis.

 

It was recognised that people from Amesbury and surrounding areas, were having travel into Salisbury to get their provision. So in February the Amesbury site was opened. This offered an opportunity to collect food locally, one day a week, and was run by an enthusiastic team of 25 volunteers. Offering so much more than just the food, such as conversation, time , a place to relax,  signposting to other services, pet supplies and hygiene products.

 

The organisation also ran a ‘More than Food’ programme, which was a 6 week course for 2.5hrs a week to teach people how to eat well. Lucy urged anyone that knew of community groups that could benefit from this service to get in touch.

 

A money advice service was also free for clients, this operated by a 6 week appointment system, teaching them how to manage money and deal with debts.

 

Holiday clubs which offered a replacement for those families with children eligible for free school meals, as this was not available in the break time. Lucy and the team were planning one of these in Amesbury in the summer for children and their parents.

 

Lucy value community support in reaching people that really need this service, she asked people to spread the word in their communities.

 

An even would be held on 5 June at 3.30 – 5.30pm at Wyndham Hall, offering free refreshments, cakes, hotdogs and face painting for children. Invites had been passed out to children through the schools.

 

Cllr Wright noted that Lucy had visited the Health & Wellbeing Board meeting and it was through their suggestion that Lucy come to the Board to give a presentation to promote the services available in the Food Bank. He thanked Lucy and her team for the good work they were doing.

8.25pm

13.

Health & Wellbeing Group

To note the minutes and consider recommendations for funding from the Health & Wellbeing budget for 2017/18, as attached to the agenda.

 

 

Applicant

Amount requested

Health and Wellbeing Group recommendation

Wiltshire Music centre

£1,500

To consider awarding £1,500 of funding for the first year of the project.

 

With an invite to return the following year and provide a full report on progress including numbers attracted, actual activities and a sustainability plan before any further funding could be considered in years 2 and 3.

Farley’s Malone

£5,000

To consider awarding funds on a two-tranche basis, with £2,500 awarded now.

 

With an invite to return in September with a report on what the funding was for, how many lunches would be provided, actual numbers attending, and outcomes and work with partner organisations, to enable a second tranche to be considered.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Graham Wright, Lead Member for H&WB, drew attention to the minutes from the last H&WB Group meeting held on 25 April 2017 and asked the Board to consider the recommendations for funding.

 

He noted that there had been 2 grants for consideration by the group at its last meeting, these were:

 

Wiltshire Music

This applicant had raised £90,000 to run events across the community area. Working with isolated older people. Committed to at least 10 sessions with older people, all taking part would also get free tickets to the events and transport would also be arranged to Salisbury.

 

Decision

The Amesbury Area Board awarded £1,500 to the Wiltshire Music Centre, with an invite toreturn the following year and provide a full report on progress including numbers attracted, actual activities and a sustainability plan before any further funding could be considered in years 2 and 3.

 

 

Farleys Malone

The Good neighbour scheme funding had been discontinued by WC, following that Farleys Malone had been set up to fill the gap. Some of the work carried out by the group included weekly community lunches at various locations. There were 11 volunteers working alongside Jan.

 

One strategy of the Area Board was caring for the carers. Part of this scheme planned involving the carers coming to activities whilst their loved ones were attending community lunches.

 

There would be a Dinner and Dance evening at Antrobus House on Friday 24 November, to raise some additional funding. Tables could be booked by contacting Farleys Malone.

 

It was hoped that the board would support 2 tranches of funding, £2,500 now and another £2,500 later in the year.

 

Decision

The Amesbury Area Board awarded £2,500 to Farley’s Malone, with an invite to return in September with a report on what the funding was for, how many lunches would be provided, actual numbers attending, and outcomes and work with partner organisations, to enable a second tranche to be considered.

 

8.35pm

14.

Community Area Grants

To determine the applications for Community Area Grant funding for 2017/18, as detailed in the report attached to the agenda.

 

Applicant

Amount requested

Applicant: Steeple Langford Parish Council
Project Title: Steeple Langford children’s play area enhancement

View full application
 

£2,544.80

Total project cost

£5,089.60

 

 

Applicant: Village Hall Committee (Stephen\'s Charity)
Project Title: Cholderton - Children’s Play Area

View full application
 

£5,000.00

Total project cost

£28,278.00

 

 

 

Applicant: Wiltshire Council on behalf of Amesbury Sports Partnership
Project Title: Amesbury Sports Partnership

View full application

 

£4,000.00

Total cost of project

£400,000.00

 

 

 

 

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Duck Race

Andy Devey thanked the Board for funding they had received at an earlier meeting, which had enabled them to replace their old worn out stock of yellow ducks which had been used for the past 11 years, with a new selection of coloured ducks. The next duck race would be held on 28 July 2017.

 

He presented a picture of the ducks to the CEM in thanks for thanks.

 

Cllr Westmoreland, Lead member for Grants, introduced three applications for funding from the Community Area Grant Scheme for 2017/18, thanking the other members of the grants panel who had assisted in reviewing the bids:

 

Decision

Steeple Langford Parish Council was awarded £2,544.80 towards Children’s play area enhancements.

Reason - The application met the Community Area Grants Criteria 2017/18.

 

Decision

The Village Hall Committee (Stephen’s Charity) was awarded £5,000 towards Cholderton Children’s play area, with the condition that Planning Permission was approved.

Reason - The application met the Community Area Grants Criteria 2017/18.

 

Decision

Amesbury Sports Partnership was awarded £4,000 towards an artificial multi use sports Area project.

Reason - The application met the Community Area Grants Criteria 2017/18.

15.

Urgent items

Any other items of business which the Chairman agrees to consider as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were none.

9.00pm

16.

Close

The next meeting of the Amesbury Area Board will be held on Thursday 27 July 2017, 7.00pm in Shrewton.

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of the Amesbury Area Board would be held on Thursday 27 July in Shrewton.

 

The Chairman thanked everyone for attending

 

Actions

Search

This website