If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Oaksey Village Hall

Contact: Jessica Croman  Democratic Services Officer

Items
Note No. Item

7.00 pm

106.

Chairman's Welcome and Introductions

The Chairman will welcome those present to the meeting.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed all those present to the meeting.

 

David Redfren, Head of Service for Leisure Operations, was welcomed and introduced as the new lead officer for community area boards.

 

It was noted that item 11 would be taken after the Chairman’s announcements.  

107.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies.

 

It was noted that Cllr Gavin Grant would be running late.

108.

Minutes

To approve and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 10 July 2018.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The meeting considered the minutes of the previous meeting.

 

Resolved

 

To approve as a correct record for signing by the Chair the minutes of the

meeting from the 10 July 2018.

109.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of disclosable interests or dispensations granted by the Standards Committee.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

110.

Chairman's Announcements

The Chairman will provide information about:

 

·         Local Government Boundary Commission for England- Consultation

·         Annual Electoral Canvass

·         Localised Labour Market Intelligence

·         Animal Licensing

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman drew the meeting’s attention to the announcements printed in the agenda pack.

111.

Partner Updates

To receive updates from the following partners:

 

a.    Wiltshire Police

b.    Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service

c.    Healthwatch Wiltshire

d.    Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

e.    Malmesbury and the Villages Community Area Partnership (MVCAP)

f.     Riverside Centre

g.    Health & Wellbeing Champion

h.    Highways Community Co-ordinator

i.      Town and Parish Councils

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The meeting noted the written updates submitted and had the opportunity to ask questions on the issues raised therein.

 

Additional verbal updates included:

 

Police

 

Referred to the written report and asked for feedback on the content of the report to help shape what was relevant and important in the reporting process.

 

 

Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner

 

Mr Jerry Herbert introduced himself, explaining that he had started in August 2018 with a role to support and share the responsibilities and vision of the Police and Crime Commissioner, and to help implement and deliver the Police and Crime Plan. A key role will be to understand issues, concerns and representing the views of the public in Wiltshire and Swindon to help shape the priorities. 

 

The nature of crime had changed which meant that investment would be needed to tackle those new issues.

 

 

Fire & Rescue Service

 

The report included with the agenda pack was referred to highlighting the points on automatic fire alarms, Chinese lanterns, fireworks and safe and well visits. It was noted that there were new recruits which would address the recent staffing issues.

 

 

Health & Wellbeing Champion

 

Ellen Blacker, H&WB Champion, gave a presentation which gave a breakdown of figures of those using the service for help, recognising that it was an important part of her role to be visible.

112.

Local Youth Network Update and Applications for Youth Funding

To receive an update on the Local Youth Network (LYN) and for the Area Board to consider one Youth Grant.

 

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Richard Williams, Community Engagement Manager, introduced the grants. Representatives from The Last Baguette Theatre, gave an overview of what the grant wold be used for.

 

Resolved

 

To award The Last Baguette Theatre £1125 for their autumn theatre project.

 

 

113.

Wilts & Berks Canal Trust - Transitions Projects

Sheila Wade from Wilts & Berks Canal Trust will give a presentation about the Transitions Project which aims to provide exciting, challenging and supportive learning and work placement experiences to enable vulnerable individuals in need to take that step forward in their lives.

https://www.wbct.org.uk/for-all-of-us/the-transitions-project

Minutes:

Sheila Wade, Wilts & Berks Canal Trust, gave a presentation on the Transitions Project, which aimed to provide challenging and supportive learning and work placement experiences, for vulnerable individuals.

 

The canal restoration was the largest and most complex restoration project in the UK, which had adopted a new active community engagement model. A number of partners were involved with the new model, which helped the project engagement with a number of different community members and groups on a variety of projects.

 

The original image of the community engagement project had developed into much more than expected, Feedback identified that the project had developed skills, qualifications, built confidence and had a much wider impact on people’s lives and families. A number of organisations and trusts have approached Wilts & Berks Canal Trust aiming to adopt the same model to engage with their communities.

 

Going forward, a new headquarters had been identified and there would be a focus on developing the project further.

 

The area board was thanked for their financial contribution to help start the project.

114.

Malmesbury Against Plastics

Representatives from the Malmesbury Against Plastics group will attend to talk about their activities and projects.

Minutes:

Representatives from the Malmesbury Against Plastics gave a presentation on activities and projects.

 

The group was made up of local residents with an aim to encourage local people and businesses to reduce their plastic use.

 

Current projects included:

 

SAS ‘Plastic Free Community’ Status

 

Working towards gaining an internationally recognised qualification which involved, gaining local support and commitment from five local businesses and groups to remove at least three single use plastic items. Malmesbury, if awarded, will be one of the first to receive the award.

 

Refill Scheme

 

This involved businesses refilling customers water bottles, which would significantly reduce plastic bottle usage in the area. Surveying work was being carried out to identify businesses willing to participate.

 

Plastic Unwrapped Festival

 

A free event taking place to educate local people which would include an art exhibition. 

 

 

115.

Friends in Grief Drop In

To receive a presentation from Dorothy House to talk about the Friends In Grief Drop In sessions.

Minutes:

Ollie Phipps, Community Engagement Manager, gave an update noting that the Friends in Grief drop in was a pilot project run by Dorothy House on Tuesday afternoons at the Riverside Community Centre. It was an open community project with an aim to roll it out across the community area. A concert would be taking place in the abbey and all proceeds would go to Dorothy house.

 

116.

Carnival Community Radio

To receive a presentation from Flying Monk Productions on the Carnival Community Radio.

Minutes:

Flying Monk Productions gave a verbal presentation on the Carnival Community Radio.

 

Grant funding received from the area board had help purchase equipment for a mobile radio station, which was used to host a 10 day broadcasting event. The event had over 1900 listeners, with engagement from Germany and America, over 150 participants, as well as hosting dj sets with the elderly, social groups and recording of local events, bands and history talks. The group hoped to run the event again next year with plans to expand and bring on new ideas.

117.

Area Board Funding

Councillors will be asked to consider the Community Area Grants report and make recommendations on the applications received.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

The Community Engagement Manager introduced the item noting that:

 

Friends of Atheistan Museum had applied for £5000, although it was recommended that £2500 was granted.

 

Malmesbury Against Plastic had applied for £1200, although it was recommended that £900 was granted.

 

Resolved

 

To award Friends of Atheistan Museum £2500 for equipment.

 

To award Malmesbury Against Plastic £900 for their Plastic Unwrapped Festival.

 

118.

Community Area Transport Group

The Area Board will be asked to consider the recommendations from the 11 September 2018 (to follow) Malmesbury Community Area Transport Group (CATG) meeting outlined in the report.

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Toby Sturgis presented the report and it was;

 

Resolved

 

To approve all of the CATG funding requested within the CATG report.

119.

Urgent items

Any other items of business which the Chairman agrees to consider as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

120.

Date of the Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Malmesbury Area Board will be held 7pm on Wednesday, 20 November2018 at Crudwell Village Hall.

Minutes:

The next meeting would take place on the 20 November 2018, 7pm at Crudwell Village Hall, Tetbury Lane, SN16 9HB.

 

Actions

Search

This website