If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

How to complain about a Unitary, Town or Parish Council Member

All councillors have to comply with a Code of Conduct for members. Each local authority may decide define their own Code of Conduct, but all Codes must have due regard to the following principles:








Wiltshire Council members have adopted the following Code of Conduct. City, town and parish councils in Wiltshire may have adopted different codes, so if you are concerned about the conduct of a city, town or parish councillor you should contact the relevant council and ask to be provided with a copy of the Code of Conduct they have adopted.

If, having read the relevant Code of Conduct, you consider that a councillor may have been in breach of their Code and you wish to complain, please fill in this Members Complaints Form and either email it to governance@wiltshire.gov.uk or print it off and post it to:

The Monitoring Officer
Wiltshire Council
BA14 8JN

Please make it clear which council your complaint relates to, and state clearly in your complaint why you think the councillor may have breached their council’s local Code of Conduct.

When we receive your complaint the Monitoring Office will, in consultation with an Independent Person, decide what action should be taken. This decision will be taken having regard to the guidelines set out in Wiltshire Council's Local Assessment Criteria (Appendix 3 of the linked document).

We can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a councillor when they are acting in their official capacity. We cannot deal with complaints about behaviour that is not covered by the members’ Code of Conduct for the relevant council. We will usually only be able to consider complaints made within 20 working days of the event giving rise to the complaint.

After the Monitoring Officer and the Independent Person have received your complaint and given the councillor an opportunity to respond to the issues you have raised we will contact you to let you know what action, if any, will be taken.




This website