Standards Committee Responsibilities
The Standards Committee is responsible
• promoting and maintaining high standards of
conduct by elected and co-opted members and officers.
• assisting the elected and co-opted members to observe the members’ code of conduct.
• advising the Council on the adoption or
revision of the members’ code of conduct and the arrangements
for dealing with member complaints of misconduct which the Council
is required to make under Section 28 of the Localism Act
• monitoring and advising the Council about the
operation of its code of conduct in the light of best practice and
any changes in the law.
• advising, and, through the Member Development
Group, arranging to train elected and
co-opted members on matters relating to the members’ code
of conduct and ensuring that members
are aware of the standards expected of them under the
• granting dispensations to elected and
co-opted members from requirements relating to interests.
• overseeing the operation of the
Council’s arrangements for dealing with misconduct complaints
against members and co-opted members of Wiltshire Council, and
parish, town and city councillors in Wiltshire.
• overview of the whistle blowing
• overview of corporate complaints handling and
• reviewing the implementation of
recommendations made by the Ombudsman.
• oversight of the constitution.
Support officer: Lisa Alexander.
Phone: 01722 434560